Have you ever had quail before?
Well you must try them. First of all, they are so cute and small. Normally, cute is not a word I’d use for food, but these little birds truly are cute. I made mine Asian style and marinated them for about half hour before. The marinade is great, it has soy sauce, garlic and honey BBQ sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame seed oil, white wine, it’s simply delicious. I also seared the birds first before roasting them, just to get a nice color on them and it was totally worth it.
These quails were very tasty, the flavors totally worked together. Now after having said all these great things about quail, I have to tell you something. Quails are very small. As you can see in the picture I fitted 5 on that plate. So there’s not much to eat off them. The most meat is in the breast and a little on the drumsticks. But that’s about it, so if you think you can have one and be satisfied, not so much. I’d suggest at least 2 per serving. 3 if you want to be satisfied. However, they are totally worth trying, especially if you’ve never had them before.
Have you had quail before, if so, how did you prepare them? I can think of a few different ways and I’d say grilled on a BBQ would be a great way to eat your quail as well. But if you do try them, try this Asian style recipe, you’ll like it.
- 6 quail
- 2 tbsp honey garlic BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp chili-garlic sauce
- 3 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients, excluding quail and vegetable oil, in large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag and add quail. Seal, and chill 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In an oven proof large skillet or a dutch oven, heat the oil over medium to high heat. Sear the quail on all sides until brown, be careful to turn often, since quails are so small they might burn quickly. Save left over marinade.
- Roast quail in the oven uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes or until quail is done.
- In the meantime, pour the marinade in a small pot and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, it should reduce a bit.
- Pour marinade sauce over quail and serve hot with your favorite side dish.