Last updated on February 12th, 2018 at 05:50 pm
Beer Can Chicken – Delicious flavor from all the spices and the steam from the beer creates an unbelievable juicy, tender and delicious chicken.
I made this beer can chicken last weekend and I’ve been waiting patiently to share this post with you. Not sure why, but every time I’d look at these funny pictures, I’d laugh and go on to another recipe.
But regardless how funny these pictures may be, I can honestly say that this chicken is unbelievably juicy and delicious and a million times better than the roasted chickens you get at the grocery store. The steam from the beer creates an amazing juicy chicken. I kept wondering before, what in the world is the purpose of the beer can, but now I know.
Now usually hubs does all the grocery shopping in the house, but this time I went because I had a dentist appointment, so the grocery store was next door. But the reason I tell you this is because I NEVER, and I mean NEVER go into a liquor store all by myself, mostly because I’m not a big drinker, and especially not a beer drinker. Very rarely will I open a can or bottle of beer and drink it, but even then I can never finish one by myself, so if I’m really in the mood for beer, I’ll share it with hubs. But I was determined to make this chicken, I just knew it was going to be a success, so yeah, I went in the liquor store all by myself. But what beer to use, so many options, so I decided to go with some Sleeman’s honey brown beer. Honestly though, it does not matter. Use whatever you have in the house.
I can probably safely say now that this is my favorite roasted chicken that I’ve ever made myself. You roast it at a pretty high temperature, 425 F, so it’s done quicker, in about an hour and 15 minutes and it gets nice and crispy all around, no more soggy chicken on to bottom, because this chicken stands up, nicely on that beer can, it cooks evenly all around and oh what crispy skin and juicy meat you get.
As far as what spices to use, well nothing out of the ordinary here, some smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and I used tarragon because I think tarragon goes beautifully with chicken. So here you go my friends. Next time you crave a roasted chicken, try shoving a beer can up its you know what and enjoy probably some of the juiciest and most delicious chicken you’ll ever have.
Love roast chicken so much? Try these:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Beer Can Chicken - Delicious flavor from all the spices and the steam from the beer creates an unbelievable juicy, tender and delicious chicken.
- 1 chicken whole
- 12 oz beer can, I used Sleeman's honey brown
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp tarragon dried
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Place a roasting pan on a baking dish to prevent making a total mess of your oven.
- Mix all the rub ingredients together.
- Open the can of beer and pour about 1/4 of it into the roasting pan and set the can of beer in the center of the roasting pan.
- Clean the chicken and remove any giblets if it has any and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle over the rub and use your hands to massage all the rub into all the nooks and crannies.
- Place the chicken upright over the beer can and drizzle the olive oil over the chicken.
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden and cooked through. To check to see if it's done, insert a knife into the thickest part of the thigh, and the juices should run clear.
Baking time could vary since every oven is different.
Nutrition: Nutritional information assumes a 3.5 lb chicken. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!