This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Breakfast Beer Braised Pork Tacos – This delicious slowly braised pork shoulder in beer and chicken broth gives you the most succulent spiced pork that’s perfect for making incredible breakfast tacos.
My goal for this summer is to make lots and lots of taco recipes, and eat them of course. I am just in love with tacos, I think those little tortillas are the perfect vessel for some delicious meat and are so much fun to eat.
While you may look at this recipe and groan at the amount of ingredients and the time involved, I urge you to reconsider. You will end up with lots of braised pork that you can have breakfast tortillas for the rest of the month, unless you have a huge family. But it’s not just breakfast tacos you can make, you can make any kind of tacos you want, burritos, sandwiches, wraps, casseroles. The possibilities are endless.
Although this looks like a long recipe, it’s really not that bad. The spice rub will take you no more than a couple minutes to put together and rub over the pork. I did use a pork shoulder here and mine came with a bone, so I just cut it around the bone, and cut out any of the fat that i didn’t want. Once the pork shoulder is prepped and rubbed you need to let it rest for about half hour to make sure the spices penetrate the pork. I also fried some bacon here, for more pork flavor because you can never have enough pork flavor.
After the pork rests for half hour we just want to brown it a bit, so it has a nice crust. Then you just prepare the liquid which is beer of course, chicken broth and orange juice and pour over the pork and finally we slowly braise it in the oven for 3 to 4 hours, I left mine in for 4 hours, and your house will smell heavenly. The pork shoulder will easily fall apart and it will be easy for you to shred it with a couple forks. I also added a couple ladles of that yummy liquid to the pork so that it’s nice and juicy and that’s all there is to the braised pork.
Now the fun part begins. Making tacos! You’ll need some scrambled eggs, or just cook the eggs to your preference and assemble your tacos. Scrambled eggs and lots of braised pork. I decided to top mine with some tomatoes and green onions and I finally found some queso fresco and used that, but feta cheese would be great here. Finally you can eat! I can’t think of a yummier breakfast. Eggs and double pork in a little tortilla! I could eat a dozen of these. And the best part? You have so much braised pork you can enjoy these tortillas every morning for a few days. Perfect for on the go breakfast.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
For Beer Braised Pork
- 4 to 5 pound pork shoulder (cut into 3 inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground )
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices bacon (thick cut , diced)
- 1 can beer (I used Modelo, a Mexican beer)
- zest from 1 orange
- juice from 2 oranges
- 2 quarts chicken broth (1.9 L)
For Beer Braised Pork
- Make the rub first, so in a large bowl mix together the paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder and salt. Add the pork pieces to the rub and coat the pork, making sure each piece is fully coated in the rub. Let the meat rest at room temperature for half hour just to let the rub penetrate a bit.
- While the pork is resting, fry the bacon in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Stir the bacon frequently making sure you don't burn it. You want to cook it until all the fat is rendered and it's become crisp. Remove the bacon from the dutch oven with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add pieces of the pork to the dutch oven and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. You will need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your dutch oven it could take about 4 batches. Place the browned pork pieces in a large roasting pan and set aside.
- When all of the meat is browned, add the chicken broth to the dutch oven and stir making sure you scrape up all the browned bits. Add the orange zest, orange juice, and beer to the pot. Bring to a boil and then add the bacon to the pot and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Pour all the liquid over the pork pieces in the roasting pan. If your dutch oven is big enough you can use the dutch oven, just add the pork back to it, but mine isn't so I used the roasting pan. Cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil, or put the lid on the dutch oven, and place in the oven. Braise for about 3 to 4 hours, until the meat falls apart.
- Remove the meat from the roasting pan and start shredding it with two forks. It should shred easily. Pour 2 or 3 ladles of the liquid over the shredded pork and just toss it around. Add as much liquid as preferred.
For Breakfast Tacos
- You can scramble your eggs, or make an omelette or even use fried eggs, choice is yours. Fill tortillas first with eggs, then pork, cheese, tomatoes and green onions.
- Serve and enjoy!
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.