What a great way to change up your normal breakfast routine! With these Vegan Tofu Breakfast Burritos you can rest assured that your taste buds will be fully satisfied.
You’re probably wondering what’s going on with me, giving you guys vegan recipes, but hear me out. You know I’m all about flavor so I’d like to think I’ve never steered you wrong and I won’t start now. But a couple weeks ago, hubs and I went to Planet Organic, it was around noon and we hadn’t eaten anything that day and we were starved. We wanted to get something but also something to have in the car while we were driving. We looked around and saw these vegan breakfast burritos and thought they looked good. I had no idea what was in them, but I was hungry so we got them.
I seriously didn’t realize that there was tofu in them, that just goes to show you how much I really know about veganism. I don’t know what I was thinking, but the flavors were amazing and we completely fell in love with these burritos. Needless to say, I’ve made a few trips to the store since then to get more burritos. But you know me, I had to attempt to make these myself, so I kept the little sticker from the burritos that listed the ingredients on them and finally gave it a shot.
What can I say, except that I mastered the art of making eggless egg salad and these vegan burritos, if I say so myself.
I did go back to make sure I got the right ingredients, like the tofu, the vegenaise which I’ve never had before and let me just say it does taste just like mayonnaise, I also got some vegan cheese, and some gluten free spinach tortillas. The eggless egg salad is incredible, really really tasty, if you didn’t know it was tofu you’d think it was scrambled eggs. It’s the turmeric and the yellow mustard that gives it the nice yellow color which can fool us into thinking there are real eggs in there.
Now don’t worry, this blog isn’t going to turn vegan, I’m not vegan and can’t even claim to tell you what veganism really is, besides the fact that no meat or meat products are consumed. I’m sure there’s much more to it than that. Though I must say, that if someone were to cook for me like this every day, tasty and delicious vegan dishes, I might reconsider. Or maybe not, I do love bacon quite a bit. I was simply just pleasantly surprised that a vegan burrito with tofu can taste so freaking good. I hope you have an open mind and give these burritos a try because you will not be disappointed.
For more breakfast burrito recipes, try these!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Vegan Tofu Breakfast Burritos
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb potatoes cut into small pieces
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 8 spinach tortillas gluten free
- 2 oz vegan cheddar cheese shredded
For Eggless Egg Salad
- 12 oz tofu extra firm
- 1/3 cup vegenaise
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp dill chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the potato cubes and cook for about 7 minutes. Do not stir often, so that the potatoes get a nice golden crust. Add the red onion, garlic and oregano and cook for another 7 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Season with salt and pepper as necessary. I also garnished mine with a bit of parsley but this step is optional.
- In a large bowl crumble up the tofu using your hands. Add the remaining ingredients for the eggless egg salad and stir well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as necessary. Also if you prefer a creamier eggless egg salad add additional vegenaise.
- To assemble the burritos, top each tortilla with about 1/2 cup of the potato mash, followed by about 1/2 cup of the eggless egg salad and sprinkle with a bit of cheese. Roll up the burritos and wrap in foil.
- Refrigerate leftover burritos wrapped in foil for about 2 to 3 days. You can also heat them up a bit in the microwave before serving.