One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole – it’s cheesy, it’s comforting and it’s made in one pot. It’s dinner!
I wanted to share with you another one of these one pot recipes I made because this one is a favorite of mine. It has rice, chicken and cheese, and some broccoli too, so you know it’s good. This chicken and rice dish is so freaking delicious that if I were wearing a skirt right now, it would make my skirt fly up. Thankfully I’m not, I’m a pants only kinda gal, skirts or dresses are for weddings or special occasions only. So glad we had this chat.
Anyway, chicken and rice! Who doesn’t love a good chicken and rice casserole sorta dish. But the beauty here is that it’s all made in one skillet, quickly and before you know it dinner is ready to be served.
While I sit here writing this to you and looking at these pictures, Star Trek playing in the background and hubs watching it and laughing his you know what off, I remember the bacon I fried this morning at the same time managing to burn a couple of my fingers from splattering oil, I’m thinking that some bacon would have been yummy here for a bit more crunch and saltiness. But that’s just cause I have bacon on my mind. Bacon is on my mind a lot.
But so is this chicken and rice dish, so let’s get started. You know this is not rocket science here, but let’s start with the basics. Heat the olive oil in skillet then throw in the onion, garlic and cubed chicken breast. As a side note, we just bought these skillets, they’re from Starfrit called The Rock and I have to say they are the best skillets I’ve ever tried. Nothing, absolutely nothing sticks to them and no oil is necessary. Not to mention they’re super easy to clean.
But I digress. Cook the chicken together with onion and garlic just until it starts browning a bit. I also like to season with salt and pepper as I go along.
Throw in the rice, the cream of chicken soup and chicken broth. Season again if needed with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. Add broccoli florets and half the cheese and cook for 2 more minutes. Sprinkle the remainder of cheese over the top.
I like to place the skillet under the broiler just for a minute or so until the cheese melts and starts to bubble. That’s all there is to this. Simple, quick and pure comfort food. Can’t beat that.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup rice (I used Basmati)
- 1 can (10 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add chopped onion, garlic and cubed chicken. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes until chicken start to brown a bit. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add rice, cream of chicken soup and chicken broth. Start with 2 cups of chicken broth and if more is needed until rice is fully cooked, add more. Cook over medium heat until rice is fully cooked, should take about 15 minutes or so. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Add half the cheese and the broccoli florets and continue cooking for 2 more minutes, until broccoli softens a bit. Sprinkle over the top with remaining cheese and place skillet under broiler for a couple minutes, just until it melts and starts to brown a bit.
Why not try this Mexican Rice and Beef Casserole?