Avocado Mozza Puffs – little puff pastry morsels filled with mashed avocado, fresh mozzarella cheese and salsa.
I should have called these puppies Sombrero puffs. As I was making them all I kept thinking about is how much they looked like some pretty Sombrero hats.
So here’s the thing, my friends. You simply gotta love puff pastry! Versatile. Versatile. Versatile. You can pretty much make anything with puff pastry. I for one can’t imagine my life without it.
But it’s the simplicity I love the most. You can make the prettiest and most delicious appetizers with puff pastry. And this past weekend was an appetizer kind of weekend. I simply made a bunch of appetizer dishes and that’s what we ate. Sometimes a big meal is not what you want.
Lately I have been thinking about avocados non stop. I know they’re good for me but I just love them. So as far as how to stuff these puff pockets, it was really a simple decision. I also used fresh mozzarella which we buy at Costco, a bit cheaper than at your local grocery store. Mozzarella should be my middle name because I could eat it every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But fresh mozzarella is even better, it’s like the little bocconcini balls, it’s not a salty cheese, it’s softer and just delicious. You can put it on sandwiches, in salads, in lasagna, or any pasta dishes. Including these little puffs.
The other main ingredient in these puppies is salsa, and I used a mild salsa, but feel free to use a hot one, but it’s a must in these pockets. It gives the puffs a kick and elevates the flavors, without it, the puffs might be a bit boring. I also served salsa on the side for dipping the puffs in the salsa and OMG. Major party going on our mouths as we were eating these.
Below I’ve listed a couple more of my favorite recipes with puff pastries, among many. What are some of your favorite uses of puff pastry?
- 1 package puff pastry (2 sheets inside)
- 12 pieces fresh mozzarella cheese, 1 inch each
- 1 avocado, mashed
- ¼ cup salsa
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- juice from ½ lime
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix the mashed avocado with the lime juice and freshly ground pepper.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets so that they are about 12" x 16". Using a 2 inch round cookie cutter cut 12 circles in each sheet. You should get 24 circles from both sheets.
- We will use 12 circles for the bottom and 12 for the top. Brush a bit of the egg wash on the edge of each circle, for the first 12 only. Top 12 circles with a dollop of avocado, a piece of mozzarella cheese, and about a tsp of salsa.
- Take the other 12 circles of puff pastry and place on top of the ones with the filling and stretch them if needed to completely cover the bottom circle. They will look like little sombrero hats. Using a fork seal the edge of each circle. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with additional salsa if desired.
If you love simple appetizers with puff pastries check out these Buffalo Chicken in Puff Pastry appetizers that are super cute and will be the hit at any gathering!
For all the meat lovers out there, try these beef empanadas!