Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms – these mushrooms are stuffed with lots of veggies plus goat cheese and topped with mozzarella cheese.
Today’s recipe is one that I am a big fan of. I love mushrooms, and I love stuffed mushrooms. Portobello mushrooms are great for stuffing because they are so big and you can really stuff them with anything. These mushrooms were so delicious, they were gone instantly. I barely had time to take some pictures of them. 🙂
Mushrooms are great for you and they are full of vitamins. I cook with mushrooms a lot, and I love to try all different kinds of mushrooms. I don’t cook much with portobello mushrooms because I normally like to grill them with a little bit of salt, or use them on burgers.
Today, portobello mushrooms are the star ingredient in my recipe. Other vegetables I used are tomatoes, spinach, onion and garlic. I also added goat cheese to the mixture for lots of flavor and topped off the mushrooms with some mozzarella cheese. To me this dish was like a carb free vegetarian pizza.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of spinach, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cocktail tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (Frank's)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Carefully remove stems from mushrooms. Place the mushrooms stem side down onto a baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the water leaks out of them. Remove from the oven and using paper towels soak up excess water. Set aside.
- Do not throw away the stems from the mushrooms but chop them up to be added to the stuffing.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for a couple minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the green pepper and spinach to the skillet and cook for a couple more minutes. Add tomatoes, goat cheese, salt, pepper, mushrooms stems, hot sauce and bread crumbs. Stir and cook for an additional couple minutes.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture equally. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.