Strawberry Tiramisu Trifle – strawberries, chocolate and mascarpone and pudding cream. Enough said.
Even here in Calgary the weather is warming up though it could still snow here. One year it snowed in June, and I’ve heard of snow in July here. However, I’m hopeful and optimistic. No matter what, I love this time of year. Trees are budding, the grass is getting greener, it’s beautiful.
My favorite thing though about summer coming is all the fruits and my favorite summer fruit are strawberries. I love to bake with them, I love to eat them fresh and I love to use them in cocktails. My latest strawberry cocktail is a strawberry mojito. If you’ve never had one, you should. 🙂
But today’s recipe is a Strawberry Tiramisu Trifle. I have made this a few times now and every time I make it, it’s a huge success. It also tastes much better the day after, so this is perfect to make a day ahead.
Before you do anything else you should start by making the vanilla pudding. I used instant vanilla pudding (3.4 oz) but I only used 1 1/2 cups of the milk instead of 2 cups. Place the pudding in the fridge while you’re doing everything else.
You will need a quart (4 cups) of strawberries, washed and sliced.
Make 2 cups of instant coffee and pour it in a bowl. To make the cream you’ll need 8 oz of mascarpone cheese. Add the mascarpone to the mixer bowl and start beating at medium speed to soften it up a bit. Add to it 2 tablespoons of the instant coffee and the vanilla pudding. Mix until everything is well incorporated. Using a spatula, fold in the cool whip. The cream should be pretty thick.
The lady fingers I used here are round lady fingers, but you can use the usual long ones. Now you can brush the lady fingers with coffee or just dip them in the coffee on both sides quickly and start layering the trifle bowl.
Next add a layer of the sliced strawberries and sprinkle a quarter of the shaved chocolate over the strawberry layer.
Next layer with a third of the mascarpone cream.
Repeat, creating 3 layers of each, finishing off with the mascarpone cream and shaved chocolate. Garnish with a strawberry on top.
It looks so good and the hardest thing I had to do is wait a few hours before having some. But it is so worth it.
- 1 quart (4 cups) fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups instant coffee, or brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 cups cool whip
- 1 package (3 ounces) ladyfingers
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate, grated or shaved
- Set aside one strawberry for garnish; slice the remaining strawberries, stems removed.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Refrigerate for 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat mascarpone cheese until smooth; gradually beat in 2 tablespoons coffee. Beat in pudding. Fold in cool whip.
- Dip lady fingers in coffee on both sides, as you're layering, don't dip ahead. Line the bottom of a 3-qt. trifle or glass serving bowl with a third of the ladyfingers. Top with a third of the sliced strawberries, grated chocolate and mascarpone mixture
- Repeat, creating 3 layers of each, finishing off with the mascarpone cream and shaved chocolate.
- Garnish with a strawberry on top.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.