Beef Soup – a traditional Romanian soup full of veggies, very healthy and delicious. The beef is cooked for 3 hours thereby making it super moist.
Today I’m going to share with you my husband’s favorite beef soup recipe. This is a very Romanian soup and very traditional. It’s very easy to make, just time consuming because you need to boil the beef for 2 or 3 hours until tender. You could speed up the process by boiling the beef in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes, just make sure you save all the beef broth and add that to your soup.
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (optional)
- 1 small zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean beef cut in cubes
- ¼ cup long grain rice (optional)
- 1 egg beaten (optional)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- juice of one lemon
- parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start boiling the beef for 2 to 3 hours, until tender. In a sauce pan heat the olive oil and add the carrots, onion and celery and saute until tender. Do not burn.
- After the meat has been properly boiled, add the onion, cauliflower, and carrot mixture to the beef and broth. Add the tomato paste, juice from one lemon, salt and pepper to taste, add the rice and let simmer for another 30 minutes. 5 minutes before it's done, add zucchini.
- After 30 minutes, add the egg to the soup, it should end up looking like pasta in your soup. Take off heat and add chopped parsley. Serve hot with sour cream. It's delicious on a cold winter night.