This Slow Cooker Pepper Steak is a super easy slow cooker meal that’s packed full of flavor. All that’s required is 10 minutes prep time to you end up with one delicious meal. Always a favorite and better than take out!
This pepper steak recipe is as simple as it gets. It utilizes tons of fresh flavors, like onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and is all cooked down in a zippy pepper sauce. Cooked low and slow, this steak recipe produces a dish that is fork tender and completely drool worthy.
I love to serve this over fluffy white rice, with all that liquid in the pot spooned over generously. The best part? It only requires 10 minutes of prep time! Let’s get cookin!
What Is Pepper Steak?
Pepper steak is a Chinese American dish that is a take out classic. It uses strips (or in this case cubes) of beef that is cooked down with bell pepper and a sauce thickened using cornstarch. Now I didn’t dice up a filet mignon or anything of the sort, rather I picked up some well marbled beef tenderloin and cubed it up into bite sized pieces.
- Beef – Tenderloin cubed up into bite sizes pieces, about 1 1/2 inches. We want a cut that will hold up well to a longer cook time.
- Onion – Something that holds up well to long cooking, such as white or yellow.
- Garlic – Use as much or little as you like.
- Bell pepper – Any color you like, diced up into bite sized chunks.
- Broth – I used beef today, because – well we’re cooking with beef! Low sodium please as we want to control our salt content.
- Teriyaki – A little teriyaki sauce will go a long way flavor wise. If you don’t have any on hand it’s easy to make! It just requires soy sauce, honey, cornstarch and water.
- Hot sauce – Whichever kind strikes your fancy, today I used sriracha.
- Seasoning – I just used pepper today, we have more than enough salt in here already.
- Cornstarch – This ingredient will thicken up our sauce.
How To Make Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
- Prepare your dish: Trim the meat if needed and cut into small pieces. Place the meat in the slow cooker. Then throw in the rest of the ingredients and roughly stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 3.5 hours.
- Create the pepper sauce: To thicken the sauce, take a ladle of the sauce from the slow cooker and whisk it together with the cornstarch in a small sauce pan. Cook on low until the sauce thickens, then throw it back in the slow cooker and stir so that it all combines well.
- Finish the Pepper Steak: Garnish with chopped green onion, sesame seeds, or fresh parsley and serve hot.
What Else Can Be Used In Slow Cooker Pepper Steak?
I used beef tenderloin for this dish today but beef top round or sirloin cuts will also do just fine. Chicken can also be used instead of beef altogether, the cook time remains roughly the same so follow all the other directions just the same for a delicious chicken twist.
While they aren’t traditional you can also use carrots, zucchini, tomato, or mushrooms. You can also serve this dish over cauliflower rice to add another serving of veggies to your dinner.
Tips For Making The Best Pepper Steak
- You can skip the sauce thickening step if you’re in a hurry, it is by no means crucial! But I love it as I find whichever starchy base I spoon this dish over soaks up the sauce even better when it’s thicker.
- We don’t need to marinade the meat today as it’ll absorb lots of flavor as it cooks slowly but if marinating is key in your kitchen, by all means feel free to combine the sauce ingredients and allow the meat to soak in the fridge as long as you’d like. If time permits, you can also go ahead and brown the meat first.
- Slice your tenderloin against the grain to be sure each bite is incredibly tender to the tooth.
How To Serve
This dish is just beautiful served over fluffy white rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles. If you have different varieties of rice on hand and want to spoon this dish over something a little different, this handy guide should help.
This dish will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. In the freezer it’ll keep for 2 – 3 months, just be sure it is completely cool before packing in a shallow airtight container.
Craving More Steak? Try These Delicious Recipes:
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
- Trim the meat if needed and cut into small pieces. Place the meat in the slow cooker. Then throw in the rest of the ingredients and roughly stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 3.5 hours.
- To thicken the sauce, take a ladle of the sauce and whisk it together with the cornstarch in a small sauce pan. Cook on low until the sauce thickens, then throw it back in the slow cooker and stir so that it all combines well.
- Serve over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes. Garnish with some chopped onions or parsley and some sesame seeds.
- Although I used a tenderloin, you could use beef top round steak or beef sirloin steak. Stewing beef would also work.
- No salt is listed as an ingredient in this recipe because I find that the teriyaki sauce and beef broth together provide enough saltiness but if you want, feel free to add more as needed.
- This dish will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. In the freezer it’ll keep for 2 – 3 months, just be sure it is completely cool before packing in a shallow airtight container.