This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Peach and blueberry galette made with a sour cream dough that makes the crust super flaky. Simple and delicious!
Happy Canada Day!
I promised you that I would make a peach galette and I always keep my promises. This past weekend I was in the mood for baking, mostly because my sister gave me a huge bag full of rhubarb and I made a couple gorgeous strawberry rhubarb pies and I had some dough left and made this gorgeous galette.
The pies were a huge success, I’ll post the recipe here soon, but let me tell you how this works. I give my sister a gorgeous pie and she gives me a sore throat! My sister and my nephew have been sick for a few days now and I was careful as not to kiss my nephew, which is very hard to do, he’s just too cute, but it’s not easy, I still smooched him and hugged him, so not surprisingly I am now sick. And it’s my week off! Kinda sucks!
But besides that I had a wonderful weekend, even with the not so perfect weather. Like I said, it’s my week off and I’m not going to let anything ruin it, after all there are holidays to celebrate. Canada day and July 4th! It’s a week of celebrations.
Initially I was only going to make this galette with peaches but I had some beautiful blueberries left in the fridge and I had to use them. Instead of regular brown sugar, I had this organic coconut palm sugar that my sister gave me and used this instead. Don’t be fooled and think it tastes like coconut, it has a caramel-like flavor and it’s great for coffee. However I wanted to try it in my galette so I used that to mix the peaches and blueberries with, then also sprinkled some over the top of the galette. It was a great idea and it was wonderful.
I just love this galette, it’s so simple, yet so delicious and amazing. I love this dough, it’s so flaky and so versatile. You may think it’s summer now and you don’t want to bake but I really think this is worth it. You can fill these galettes with anything you want and actually they might even work if you make them on the grill. But don’t quote me on that, haven’t yet tried it.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Peach and Blueberry Galette
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chill again
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup ice water
- 2 large peaches slices about 1/4 of an inch in thickness
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup organic coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds optional
- Start by making the pastry dough. Add the flour and salt to a large bowl and slightly whisk. Cut the butter in pieces and add to the bowl. Using a pastry blender or two knives cut but butter in until the mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice and water and add this to the butter-flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon or your fingers, mix in the liquid until large lumps form. Pat the lumps into a ball; do not overwork the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a bowl toss the peaches, blueberries and sugar together.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough out into a 12-14 inch round. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange the peaches over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the border over the filling, pleating the edge to make it fit. The center will be open. Brush crust with egg yolk. Sprinkle with some more sugar if preferred and sprinkle some almonds over the crust.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.