Last updated on May 18th, 2018 at 12:42 pm
These tender Strawberry Chocolate Chip Scones melt in your mouth! A buttermilk scone batter, lightly sweetened and loaded with strawberries and chocolate chips.
One of the things you probably don’t know about me is that I’m very shy when it comes to other people trying my food. Maybe I’m afraid of criticism though I’ve never actually had anyone tell me that they hate my food, but it’s like it’s always been something I’ve tried to avoid. Of course this does not include my husband, I’ll accept any sort of criticism from him, he is my recipe taster after all. I must say I’ve gotten a lot more confident over the years, especially since I cook a lot and actually share my food with others and I think I’ve come to have that confidence that my food is actually really good.
Maybe it goes back to me being an introvert, who knows. But over the 5 years that I’ve been blogging, so many of you have tried my recipes and have told me how much you like them. For that I thank you because your comments and emails are the biggest confidence boost there is.
But why am I telling you this now? Maybe because when I make recipes like these scones I actually give them to friends and family and before they take a bite into what I’ve made I actually am very nervous there for a few seconds before I see the joy on their faces. But this shyness I’ve had has not stopped me from sharing my food with friends and family, after all, isn’t that what cooking and baking is all about, sharing the love.
But let’s talk about these scones which are really perfect. Over Easter I went to one of my favorite bakeries here in Calgary and they were selling apple pie scones. Of course I had to buy some, but what I loved about these scones was that they weren’t too dry and hard like scones usually are, but they were more tender like cake texture, as well as being utterly delicious which goes without saying.
I was determined to make a scone like that, so I decided on strawberries and chocolate chips. I mean you really can’t go wrong with strawberries and chocolate chips. Plus I happened to have a pint of strawberries in the fridge, so someone had to use them. The batter is with buttermilk and an egg, very lightly sweetened with just a couple tablespoons of sugar and of course some butter. The strawberries also provide a bit of their own juice making these scones that much more tender and delicious.
What I love the most about these scones is to have one in the morning with my coffee, fills me up and I’m ready to face the day.
If you love these scones, try these other recipes!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Scones
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In the measuring cup used to measure out the buttermilk, whisk the egg with the buttermilk.
- Add cubed butter to the flour mixture and using 2 knives or a pastry blender cut in the butter, until the dough is crumbly and resembled peas.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and mix well using a fork or wooden spoon.
- Add the strawberries and chocolate chips to the dough and roughly mix everything together until well incorporated.
- Turn the dough over onto a floured surface, and form the dough into a round disk. Cut the dough into 8 triangles.
- Place the scones onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with a bit of sugar if preferred.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.