This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Apple Cinnamon Scones – delicious homemade apple and cinnamon scones and a crunchy topping. Taste just like apple pie!
Fresh apple cinnamon scones, right out of the oven.
If you love yourself, and your significant other, you will make these, and have them for breakfast every morning this week. With a good cup of Joe. That’s what I did this past week.
There’s nothing more homey than a fresh baked scone. I love the smell of apples and cinnamon baking, whether it’s in a pie or these beautiful scones.
Now I don’t know if you’re like me, but baking is my passion. And NO I would not want to bake for a bakery or for a restaurant, I think then it would become a chore whereas now it’s a passion and I love to bake a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Many times people tell me I should sell my baked goods, but besides the once or twice a year bake sale at work I would never bake to sell. I don’t know, am I weird? Maybe I am, but I just enjoy baking in my own kitchen and having fun with the ingredients, and hey if I screw something up then no big deal, I try again.
The great thing about baking scones is that you don’t have to be a passionate baker, or an expert baker. Scones are probably one of the easiest things you could bake. They’re so simple to make, and for some reason every time I talk to someone about baking scones they think it’s such a chore, but it’s not. You can literally make the dough and throw it in the oven in under 10 minutes, and I’m being generous here.
But let’s focus on these apple cinnamon scones for a minute because they are what this post is about. So I have to tell you a secret first. I’ve never had an apple cinnamon scone before, but I was dying to try and make one and I knew, I just knew it was going to taste like apple pie. And it does, it’s so delicious and amazing.
I wanted a crunchy top so I mixed some cinnamon with oats and some Turbinado sugar and it turned out exactly as I had hoped. Now if you don’t have Turbinado sugar don’t worry, you can use regular sugar, but I bought some a while ago and I save it for my scones. They are to die for! So here you have it, delicious apple cinnamon scones with a crunchy sweet topping.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Apple Cinnamon Scones
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp Turbinado sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Cut in the butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender. In another smaller bowl combine together the milk, honey and apple. Add this to the dry ingredients and toss.
- Turn onto a floured work surface and knead gently until everything is well combined. Form the dough into a circle that’s about 9 to 10 inches in diameter and about 1/2 inch in thickness.
- Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Cut into 8 wedges and separate the wedges so that they are about 1 inch apart. Brush the wedges with the milk (from the topping ingredients). Combine together the Turbinado sugar, ground cinnamon and rolled oats and sprinkle over each scone.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until nice and golden brown.