Last updated on March 27th, 2018 at 05:56 am
Strawberry Scones – delicious strawberry scones, the perfect scones to make during strawberry season. Great with a cup of good coffee.
I’ve been making a lot of scones lately, I admit it. But I just love them! My goal is to make scones with all the fruits out there. I still have lots of fruits I haven’t tried, believe you me!
Strawberries, oh how beautiful they are. I find that fruits and animals photograph great, no double chins there. How did I get on this topic?
Back to strawberries, oh strawberries, how beautiful they are, and sweet and tart and delicious, and such a pretty red color. Hubby bought these gigantic strawberries from Costco and just look at the size of those things. And they smell amazing, I think I want one right now … I’ll be right back.
And I’m back. Yum! It’s like I need to make scones every weekend, if I don’t I probably won’t eat any breakfast all week long. Whenever there are any left. Hubby ate 4 at once, must have been really hungry. Either that or I need to feed him more often, maybe I need to make something else besides scones and magic cakes. I wonder!
I love to bake though, you guys all know this, so what’s a gal to do? I can’t help myself, I saw these strawberries and I just knew that they belonged in a scone.
These scones are super cute. I don’t usually brush my scones with egg wash but this time I did. I wanted them to have a nice shiny golden color because I thought they’d look so pretty with the red strawberries.
And of course, as usual, I sprinkle them with Turbinado sugar, my fave because I just love that sugar topping on my scones.
Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes and your kitchen will smell divine, your scones will shine and you’ll feel sublime. Oooook, no more poetry for me.
By the way I blogged this recipe 3 years ago, when my photography skills were horrendous so I just had to do a remake.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Cut up the strawberries into small pieces and add 1 tbsp of the sugar to them.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, baking powder and remaining sugar. Add the butter and using 2 knives or a pastry blender start cutting into the butter. Use your hands if necessary but the mixture needs to resemble small peas.
- Add the strawberries to the bowl and coat them well with the flour mixture. In a small bowl mix the egg and milk together then add to the flour bowl. Using a spatula mix everything well. Add more flour as needed if dough is too wet and sticks to hands too much. Turn dough over onto a floured surface and shape into a round 8 inch ball.
- Cut the dough into 8 triangles, just like you would cut pizza and place the triangles over a cookie tray lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Brush with the egg wash. You may at this point, sprinkle the scones with additional sugar if you wish.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.