Last updated on March 29th, 2018 at 01:36 pm
These Lemon Buttermilk Scones are light and fluffy are bursting with lemon flavor, then drizzled with the most incredible tangy lemon glaze.
There’s nothing more I love than a lazy Sunday morning, still in my pjs sitting by the fire with a soft and delicately crumbly scone and a good cup of coffee. Oh, and a good book. I could spend all mornings like that. These lemon buttermilk scones are exactly the perfect scones for such a morning, light and fluffy like a good scone should be with a lot of lemony flavor. And these scones are loaded with lemon flavor and drizzled with a delicious lemon glaze, then garnished with some more lemon zest. Yes, these scones are for the lemon flavor lovers out there.
These scones were so good, my friend and I ate 6 of them in one sitting. Yep, we did. It’s ok though, they’re little, and that was our brunch kind of thing. We also made these sugared lemon slices, as if we needed more lemon flavor, but they were to die for. And this is how you eat them. Take your scone, rip a piece off, drizzle some more glaze over them, put a sugared lemon slice over the scone piece then pop it in your mouth. I’m just saying, it’s heavenly!! Everything simply melts in your mouth, and you get a good burst of lemon flavor. Oh I used Meyer Lemons in these scones, only the best!
These scones are heavenly, buttery fluffy scones. However, there’s not a lot of butter in them, but the buttermilk makes them so perfectly crumbly and light. When you make scones you want to make sure you don’t over knead the dough, all you need to do is knead it 4 or 5 times, a gentle touch is all they need.
You have to try these scones, even if scones aren’t your thing, you just have to.
Here are some more citrusy delights for my lemon lovers out there:
Check out the video to see just how easy it is to make these lemon scones.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Lemon Buttermilk Scones
For Lemon Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar same as icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp corn syrup light
- 1 tbsp milk plus more as needed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Whisk to combine everything.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg yolk, buttermilk and vanilla extract together.
- Add the butter to the flour bowl, and using a pastry blender, cut in the butter to make small pea sized pieces.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until the dough pulls together. Lightly flour a work surface and dust your hands with flour.
- Transfer the dough to the work surface and knead it gently about 5 time. Shape the dough into a ball, then flatten it into a disk that's about 3/4 of an inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter.
- Cut the disk into 8 wedges of equal size. Place the wedges onto a baking sheet.
- Bake them for about 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer the scones to a cooling rack.
- To make the lemon glaze, add the confectioners' sugar to a bowl. Add the corn syrup, milk, lemon juice, pinch of salt and start whisking until smooth. Add more milk until the glaze is runny but still thick.
- While the scones are cooling drizzle them generously with the glaze then garnish with more lemon zest.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!