Last updated on August 8th, 2017 at 11:31 am
A savory zucchini and ricotta galette with a super flaky pastry made from scratch in just 5 minutes. Plus a mix of 3 cheeses makes this galette amazing!
There it is! A beautiful and golden savory galette with zucchini and ricotta. I love savory galettes and I love sweet ones as well. But this galette is special, it reminds me of my savory cheese pies which I love so much.
But you know what I’m in love with lately? Roasted minced garlic! I’ve used it before many times, but I’m now loving it even more. I used some in this galette which I mixed with some olive oil and boy that olive oil is gold! I could spread that on bread and eat it just like that.
This galette had 3 cheeses, that’s right 3 cheeses. Ricotta cheese, fresh mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese so you know it’s gotta be awesome. And I threw in some zucchini in there just so we can get some veggies in, plus it makes it look real pretty.
I love this pastry dough, is so freaking simple to make and it’s so delicious. Good bye store bought pastry, hello flaky and delicious home made pastry dough. I can just imagine all the awesome galettes I’m going to make this summer with all kinds of fruits. Peaches, raspberries, strawberries, life couldn’t get any better.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chill again
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 large or 2 small zucchinis sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tsp roasted minced garlic fresh garlic works as well
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup about 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup 1 ounce shredded mozzarella
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 egg yolk for brushing
- Start by making the pastry dough. Add the flour and salt to a large bowl and slightly whisk. Cut the butter in pieces and add to the bowl. Using a pastry blender or two knives cut but butter in until the mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice and water and add this to the butter-flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon or your fingers, mix in the liquid until large lumps form. Pat the lumps into a ball; do not overwork the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut zucchini into thin slices and place over paper towels, sprinkle some salt over the slices and let sit for 30 min so the paper towels soak up all the water.
- In the meantime, mix the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and basil. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and the garlic together and add 1 teaspoon of the garlicky olive oil to the bowl with the cheeses and season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough out into a 12-14 inch round. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the bottom of the galette dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Shingle the zucchini attractively on top of the ricotta starting at the outside edge. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of the garlic and olive oil mixture evenly over the zucchini. Fold the border over the filling, pleating the edge to make it fit. The center will be open. Brush crust with egg yolk.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen