This Cheesy Zucchini Quiche is simple to make and ideal for the quiche lover in your family. It’s super cheesy and perfect for meatless Monday!
Well friends, I can honestly say I haven’t slept in 48 hours, but I could just not leave you hanging without a recipe today, so here I am, simply because I love you all!
Our 3 day trip from Calgary to Southern Ontario was actually made in 35 hours out of which 30 were non stop driving. Not that we’re sick in the head or anything, but for the simple fact that in all of Minnesota and Wisconsin all hotels/motels were booked last Saturday night!!! Yes I know it was a Saturday night, and reservations are usually a good thing for a weekend trip, but then my sister and her husband aren’t entirely normal people and like to play dangerously or shall I say they’d prefer to be spontaneous. Yes, that’s probably a better word. Of course we didn’t start looking for a place to sleep till around 10 pm but that’s just a minor detail. So here we were between 10pm and 2am on a Saturday night driving and trying to find a place to sleep. No luck at all! So we just kept on driving and driving till we made it back to Canada to my parent’s house.
Now that I look back I think it was a stupid thing we did, I’m not sure how exactly we stayed awake, I’m not exactly sure how I’m still awake, but I think the 20 oz of super strong coffee that my mom made has something to do with it. My mom’s coffee is famous for its strength, it can make you grow facial hair as you drink it!
So here I am the bearded lady pouring my guts out to you. But thankfully, for you, I do have a recipe to share with you, which I made for my brother in law a couple weeks ago, and this is from his mouth alone, it was so damn good. And he wants more. Though now I’m still a bit bitter from what happened last night, so no more quiche for him, at least for a couple weeks. That’s about as long as I can hold a grudge.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Cheesy Zucchini Quiche
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ground
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 3 tbsp ice water
- 3 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups zucchini sliced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a food processor add flour, salt, oregano, basil, 1/2 tsp pepper and pulse once until everything is incorporated. Add 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes to the food processor and pulse until mixture resembled peas. Add cold ice water and continue pulsing a couple more times, the dough should start to stick together. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface and just knead it until it comes together, do not knead too much. Form the dough into a disc and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a medium skillet add the 3 tbsp of butter and melt. Add the onion, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano and season with salt and pepper. Sauté onion just until soft and translucent, about 3 or 4 minutes. Add zucchini and sauté for a couple more minutes just until zucchini softens up a bit.
- Roll out the pastry disk from the fridge so that it's about 12 inches in diameter, then unroll into a 9 inch pie plate or quiche plate and flute the edges. Sprinkle the 2 cups of mozzarella cheese over the pastry.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and milk. Set aside;
- Add the sautéed zucchini slices over the mozzarella cheese then pour the egg/milk mixture over the zucchini.
- Bake on the lower oven rack for about 30 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
More delicious recipes from my kitchen