This Mediterranean Couscous Salad is easy and healthy and ready in under 30 minutes! A simple salad loaded with lots of fresh veggies and an easy dressing makes this great for a meal on its own or a delicious side dish!
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
I love to add some kind of complex carby starch to my salads. Not only does it add some great flavor and chew, but it also bulks up any salad and makes them feel like a real hearty meal rather than just a side. I love this salad because the couscous really soaks up the flavor of the dressing, meaning it’s delicious to pack up for lunch the next day!
Loaded with fresh tomato, cucumber, red onion, and Kalamata olives, this salad will have you coming back for more time and time again. So let’s get into this easy, fresh salad that will be on your table in under 30 minutes!
What Is Couscous?
Did you know that couscous is just small beads of pasta made from semolina? It’s very popular in places like Turkey, Greece, Spain, France, and lots of Arabic countries. Traditionally, it is served with meat and vegetable stew. It cooks very quickly, so it’s perfect for a hectic night when you want a quick and healthy dinner
If you cook couscous properly it’s very light and fluffy. Luckily, in most western supermarkets, couscous is instant, which means it’s been pre-steamed and dried. Otherwise there’s no science to cooking couscous, usually you just follow the package instructions, one cup of boiling water to 3/4 cup of couscous. You can also add some butter or olive oil to it and some salt. And really, that’s all there is to it.
Ingredients In Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Lemon juice – This is the flavor base of our dressing. Freshly squeezed please!
- White wine vinegar – We need a bigger acidity kick and white wine vinegar adds some nice complexity.
- Olive oil – Feel free to use a nice olive oil as we won’t be cooking this dish.
- Garlic – Use as much or little as you like.
- Sugar – We need a little sweetness to cut through the acidity.
- Italian seasoning – For that Mediterranean flavor.
- Salt & pepper – To taste.
- Couscous – I used uncooked for this salad as I wanted to add some flavor to the pasta.
- Butter – Unsalted, remember we want to control our sodium content!
- Veggies – English cucumber, tomato, red onion, and green pepper diced up.
- Olives – I love olives, no Mediterranean dish is complete without them. Kalamata was my olive of choice for this recipe.
- Cheese – A nice crumbly, salty feta is ideal.
- Mint – Fresh, chopped up and sprinkled on the salad.
How To Make Mediterranean Couscous Salad
Detailed instructions and measurements can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Prepare the couscous: Follow the packaged instructions to prepare the couscous. Add the butter to the couscous when you’re preparing it. Let it cool.
- Combine the dressing: In a small bowl or jar add all the dressing ingredients together and whisk well or if using a jar, close the lid and shake well, until thoroughly combined.
- Assemble the salad: To a large bowl add the prepared couscous and fluff it up with a fork. Add the rest of the salad ingredients. Pour the prepared dressing over and toss everything well together. Garnish with extra mint and feta and serve!
This salad will store well in the fridge for up to a week. The dressing can be used for up to 2 weeks if refrigerated in an airtight container. Just be sure to mix well before using again.
Craving More Mediterranean Dishes? Try These Recipes:
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Salad
- Couscous Pilaf with Sauteed Mushrooms
- Best Ever Hummus
- Israeli Salad with Goat Cheese
- Bruschetta Salmon
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- 4 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 3/4 cup couscous uncooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 English cucumber chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup olives sliced, I recommend Kalamata olives
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion chopped
- 3/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoon mint fresh, chopped
- Follow the packaged instructions to prepare the couscous. Add the butter to the couscous when you’re preparing it. Let it cool.
- In a small bowl or jar add all the dressing ingredients together and whisk well or if using a jar, close the lid and shake well, until thoroughly combined.
- To a large bowl add the prepared couscous and fluff it up with a fork.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients. Pour the prepared dressing over and toss everything well together.
- Leftovers: Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.