Last updated on March 26th, 2019 at 09:43 pm
This Homemade Tzatziki Sauce is a refreshing and cool sauce made with yogurt, cucumber and dill, perfect for dipping, on gyros or an easy snack!
Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
The first time I had Tzatziki sauce was years and years ago. We used to live in Southern Ontario and there are lots of Greek Restaurants there, I mean lots. Every year there is even a Greek festival, which we pretty much went to every year simply for the food. So Tzatziki sauce has been in my life for a very very long time. But I simply love it, it’s so refreshing and you can really have it as a dip, a snack, but my favorite is with gyros.
What Is Tzatziki Sauce
Tzatziki is a Greek sauce made from yogurt, garlic and cucumbers. Other ingredients such as lemon juice, mint, dill or parsley are sometimes added. I also love it because it really is healthier than most other dips and sauces and that’s because it’s made with Greek yogurt, the good kind, you know the really thick yogurt.
It’s also very simple to make, and it’s probably the only sauce I know of that uses cucumbers, which is what makes it really refreshing. Most recipes probably tell you to put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend away but I don’t like to make mine that way because it becomes too smooth and I really like mine a bit chunkier. I like the thicker texture and to be able to taste the cucumber, so that’s why I grate mine.
There is also a bit of garlic in tzatziki sauce, and one of my favorite ingredients, fresh dill. A lot of people will tell you that they prefer mint over dill, and although I love mint, I really prefer dill in this sauce. Of course, I’m not judging here so if you want you can use mint instead or why not use both. I also threw in a bit of cayenne pepper just so the sauce has a bit of kick but feel free to skip that.
Do You Have to Use Greek Yogurt for Tzatziki Sauce?
You can use regular plain yogurt, but I recommend using Greek yogurt, since it’s a bit thicker and I find that it tastes a lot better too.
How Do You Store Leftover Tzatziki Sauce
Tzatziki sauce is best served when it’s prepared. However if you have some leftover sauce, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate it. It will last in the fridge about 2 days.
Try These Great Dips:
- Easy Hummus
- Crockpot Bacon Queso Blanco Dip
- Red Lentil Hummus
- Spicy Cheesy Corn and Tomato Dip
- Baba Ghanoush
Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
- Prepare the cucumber: Use a grater to grate the cucumber in a small bowl. Add 1/4 tsp of salt to it and mix, then let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. This will help draw out the water from the cucumber, so that we don't end up with a watery tzatziki sauce. I usually place it in a bowl over paper towels, then squeeze the liquid out of it, this way you don't end up with a watery tzatziki.
- Mix everything together: In another medium size bowl, combine the yogurt with the cayenne pepper, minced garlic, lemon juice and dill. Stir in the cucumber. Add salt and pepper, then taste and adjust as necessary.
- Chill then serve: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.