Coconut Chicken – if you love fried chicken then this chicken is for you. Chicken strips dipped in eggs and coated with coconut flakes then fried to perfection.
I love fried chicken. Any which way you choose to fry it. I love it.
Seriously, fried chicken is one of my favorite comfort foods. But this chicken is coconut crusted with cayenne pepper. So you’ve got hot and sweet. Need I say more?
I remember the first time I had coconut chicken, it was at this restaurant in Jackson, MI, years ago so I can’t remember the name but it was our company’s Christmas party and back then I was the only employee for that company, this was in my very early career. Anyway, we had ordered both coconut shrimp and coconut chicken as appetizers.
Oh my! It was to die for! So here is my attempt at making this fabulous chicken. Not very difficult mind you, very typical of regular fried chicken, you dip it in seasoned cornstarch, then in some egg, and then in sweetened coconut flakes and finally you fry it. This chicken is so crispy and so full of flavor, you can’t not love it. You can also bake this chicken if you choose to do so, I’d probably bake it at 400 F degrees for 20 min or so or until it gets nice and golden.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
- In a shallow bowl, mix the cornstarch, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and set aside.
- Beat eggs in another bowl. Pour coconut flakes in another shallow bowl.
- Dredge the chicken pieces first in the cornstarch mixture, then in the eggs, and finally in the coconut, making sure the meat is fully coated with coconut flakes. Repeat with all chicken pieces.
- Heat 1 to 2 inches of oil in a deep pot or skillet to 350 F degrees.
- Add chicken to the hot oil in batches, making sure each piece of chicken doesn't touch the others. Fry chicken on both sides for about 2 to 3 minutes, making sure the inside is cooked through. Transfer chicken onto paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve with hot a sweet and spicy sauce.