Coconut Shrimp with Spicy Mango Dipping Sauce – juicy jumbo shrimp rolled in sweetened shredded coconut, fried to a delicious crisp and served with an incredible spicy mango dipping sauce.
Although it might seem to you that I may be into fried food lately, I don’t think I am. Or am I? Who knows and who cares. But I did make another recipe today that calls for this shrimp here to be fried. You can bake it of course, but sometimes fried is better. Let’s just call this a fried food bender that is probably only going to last a few days, but don’t hold me to that.
So coconut shrimp, ever have it? I had my first coconut shrimp almost 20 years ago at a Christmas party and I loved it!!! I can’t even remember the restaurant name or anything about that night, but I do remember this coconut shrimp. It was sweet and crispy, and I can’t even remember what sauce it was served with. Which brings me to my favorite part about this recipe. The spicy mango sauce which is incredible. To die for! I should just bottle this and sell it, that’s how good it is. It’s sweet and spicy and creamy and just good. It calls for mayo, curry, hot sauce, mango, honey and cilantro. I used 1/2 a fresh mango but frozen mango works as well. Also if you don’t have mayonnaise you can use an egg and 1/4 cup of oil, but I know some of you may be worried about using raw eggs in your dipping sauce, but that’s how you can make mayo yourself. Once you blend the egg with the oil it emulsifies, thickens and whitens into what we call mayonnaise.
You know many times I’m glad I don’t have any particular niche on my blog and I just blog about any type of recipe because I really do love all food, and it loves me back, trust me on that. But that’s why I love this job of mine, because I do get to experiment and try different foods and surprise myself. And that’s why I can give you all these different recipes, because I can, I’m not stuck to any type of food in particular.
This coconut shrimp recipe is a keeper, trust me. The shrimp is juicy with a crispy coconut crust. Speaking of this jumbo shrimp, I bought it at Costco, a huge bag, not sure how much it weighed, probably 5 lbs or more and I think it cost $50 which I thought was a good deal because I’ve been making shrimp from that bag for a while now and I still have enough for another recipe. So if you love shrimp like me, buy the big bags, it will last you a long time. And the shrimp is humongous!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Coconut Shrimp with Spicy Mango Dipping Sauce
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp tails on
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sweetened coconut shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- Make the dipping sauce first by adding all the ingredients to a blender and blend for 1 minute or 2 until the sauce is smooth. Refrigerate the sauce until shrimp is ready for serving.
- Fill a Dutch oven or a deep frying pan with vegetable oil, about 1 1/2 inches deep and heat.
- While the oil is hot, prepare 3 shallow plates. Add the breadcrumbs to one plate, beat the eggs with salt and pepper in another plate and place the shredded coconut in the 3rd plate.
- Dredge the shrimp through the breadcrumbs first, then dip them in the egg mixture, then finally dredge them through the coconut, making sure enough coconut sticks to them. Fry a few at a time about 2 minutes, depends on how hot your oil is, so they don't stick to one another, I did about 4 or 5 at a time, depending on the size of your shrimp. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Serve the shrimp along with the spicy mango sauce together.