This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
French Onion Soup Stuffed Mushrooms – french onion soup in a mushroom! What could be better?
New Year’s Resolutions!
Well I don’t normally have one, used to have them when I was younger, but I never really stuck to them. I am thinking of having one this year though, and that is to drink less pop. This one is going to be hard for me. I love coke zero. But I have to drink more water. So there, my resolution for this year is to drink less pop and drink more water. Notice I did not say drink no pop, just less. I don’t think I can give it up completely. For me it’s more of a treat, than anything else.
Anyway this resolution has nothing to do with this recipe for stuffed mushrooms. I have another recipe for stuffed mushrooms but this one is a bit different. These mushrooms are stuffed with french onion soup ingredients. That’s right, these little stuffed mushrooms totally taste like french onion soup.
They’re very simple to make, basically you saute the onions for about 20 minutes, just like you would have to for a French onion soup then add the mushrooms along with some white wine and Worcestershire sauce.
When you’re done cooking the onions and mushroom mixture, you simply have to assemble them.
Spoon the onion filling in each mushrooms, about a tablespoon in each.
Top each mushroom with Gruyere cheese.
Bake the mushrooms for about 10 to 15 minutes at 325 F degrees or until the cheese has melted nicely and is golden brown.
I topped mine with some chives for some nice green color. These stuffed mushrooms make the perfect appetizer.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
French Onion Soup Stuffed Mushrooms
For the filling
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 2 onions sliced
- 24 mushroom stems
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 24 cremini mushrooms stems removed (needed for filling)
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tbsp chives chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees.
- In a skillet add 2 tablespoons of butter and melt it over medium heat.
- After the butter has melted, add the sliced onions. Now you have to cook the onions for about 20 minutes.
- To the onions, add the chopped mushroom stems.
- Add some salt and pepper, the white wine and the Worcestershire sauce. You'll now need to let it cook for another 5 minutes or so, so that the liquid cooks down.
- In another large skillet that is oven proof, melt a little bit more butter, about a tablespoon and add the mushrooms. You can sprinkle some salt and pepper over them.
- Cook them for a couple minutes on each side. Spoon the onion filling in each mushrooms, about a tablespoon in each.
- Top each mushroom with Gruyere cheese.
- Bake the mushrooms for about 10 to 15 minutes at 325 F degrees or until the cheese has melted nicely and is golden brown.
Recipe source The Pioneer Woman