Last updated on May 31st, 2018 at 09:23 am
This Brazilian Shrimp Soup is an incredibly delicious tomato creamy soup with shrimp, coconut milk and seasoned to perfection. Perfect for any occasion!
I kind of promised myself that I’ll stop complaining to you guys about the cold weather here, but I can’t help myself. It’s been a super cold here in Calgary and it doesn’t seem like it’s going to end anytime soon.
It’s almost March already, I’m ready for spring, I want to hear the birds chirping outside, I want to see the trees budding, I want to see the grass, I want to stop wearing thick winter coats and gloves, I want to go outside and feel the sun on my face, and not my nose hairs freeze. Yes I said nose hairs, I have nose hairs, I’m sure you do too.
I’m tired of the snow!
Breathe! Ok, I think I need a chill pill! Wrong choice of words there.
Anywho, on such wonderful cold weather, there’s nothing better than a delicious creamy soup. With shrimp! And coconut milk! And shrimp, large shrimp. Did I mention it’s cold here?
So, as you can see in the picture above my shrimp were quite big, because that’s the kind of gal I am, I like my shrimp big, but don’t let that stop you from making this soup. The little tiny shrimp that are precooked would be perfect in this yummy creamy soup. But aren’t they purrty?
This soup is so amazing because it’s about as easy as soups can get, but it’s still one delicious and comforting soup.
Q: Why wouldn’t the shrimp share his treasure?
A: Because he was a little shellfish.
If you’re looking for more yummy soups, you’ve come to the right place. Try these out:
- Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Red Lentil and Chicken Soup
- Creamy Loaded Potato Soup
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Brazilian Shrimp Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped (I used a red one)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup rice long-grain
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes (1 large can)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk unsweetened
- 1 lb medium shrimp shelled and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp black pepper ground
- 3 tbsp lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup parsley fresh, chopped, for garnish
- In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over low heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and cook stirring occasionally until the onion and pepper are soft. About 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, red pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes and water to the pot and bring a boil. Cook until the rice is almost done, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Bring to a simmer and then stir in the shrimp. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp is just done, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the black pepper, lemon juice, and parsley.