The Chicken Parmwich – These easy and flavorful sandwiches feature breaded ground chicken patties and are topped with marinara sauce and fresh mozzarella cheese.
Well folks, I am officially one year older. Can’t really say I’m happy about that but life goes on. I mean it’s fun celebrating your birthday when you’re a teenager, or in your twenties, but I think anything over 30 really sucks! Anywho keep smiling and keep cooking, right? That’s my motto anyway and I’m sticking with it!
In other news, my house is a war zone. We are finishing our basement and the mess everywhere is indescribable. They are supposed to finish this week and I really hope they do because I want my house back. All the hammering and the drilling is really stressing my dog and she needs her beauty sleep. Mia will probably be the happiest when everything is back to normal.
So let’s talk about this chicken parmwich for a bit, shall we? A while ago I was watching the food network channel, I think it was Diners Drive-ins and Dives, and this place was serving these chicken Parmesan sandwiches and I thought they looked incredible and just had to make them myself. I quickly jotted down the ingredients she threw in to make the patties and so here’s what I came up with. I have to say they’re incredible. I could eat 2 or 3 of these in a sitting.
The patties are made with ground chicken, a bunch of spice, Panko breadcrumbs and then I dredged them through some breadcrumbs so they cook nicely and won’t fall apart, then lightly fried them in a bit of olive oil. You could of course bake these as well, I’d bake them at 400 F degrees for maybe around 30 minutes, flipping them over half way through.
Now you need some greens on your sandwich so I decided to go with some baby arugula because I just love the nutty flavor of it. If you want to go nuts, make your parmwiches with a couple patties, that way it will be more like a manwich! I topped the patties with some marinara sauce and a nice thick slice of fresh mozzarella cheese and plopped them under the broiler for a couple minutes just until the cheese melts nicely. Let me tell you they are delicious, it’s like eating chicken Parmesan but sandwich style. Can’t go wrong with that, my friends!
Check out these recipes for more loaded sandwiches!
- Marinated Chicken Spiedies with Garlic Sauce
- The Godfather Meatball Sub
- Hawaiian Cola Turkey Sandwiches
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
The Chicken Parmwich
For Chicken Patties
For the Chicken Parmwich
- 6 round bread rolls cut in half
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup marinara sauce
- arugula optional
- Place all the ingredients for the chicken patties in a medium size bowl, excluding the last 2 ingredients. Mix everything together until well incorporated. This mixture should make 6 patties, so divide the mixture equally into 6 and form them into 3 or 4 inch patties.
- Add the 1 cup of breadcrumbs to a shallow plate and dredge the chicken patties through the breadcrumbs.
- Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil to a large skillet and heat it over medium high heat. You'll have to do this in 2 batches, so add 3 of the patties to the skillet and cook on both sides for about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken patties to a plate and set aside. Add the remaining tbsp of olive oil to the skillet and continue frying the last 3 patties.
- Top each chicken patty with 2 tbsp or 3 tbsp of marinara sauce, and a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. Place the patties on a baking sheet and place under the broiler for 2 minutes or until the cheese is starting to melt.
- Assemble the sandwiches by adding some arugula to the bottom of the bun, then a chicken patty and then the top of the bun. Serve while patties are warm.