Last updated on June 2nd, 2018 at 11:27 am
This Classic Potato Salad is super creamy, crunchy and absolutely delicious. It’s the perfect side dish for your summer BBQs.
Hope you guys had a great weekend! We sure did, had the most wonderful weather so we had tons of fun with the pup and took him everywhere with us. He’s so pretty and different that wherever we go everybody falls in love with him and starts up a conversation, whether it’s at the dog park or walking down the street. In case you’re new here, a couple months ago we adopted a new puppy, a blue merle Australian shepherd, his name is Indiana Jones. It’s been so long since we’ve had a puppy that we’d forgotten what it’s like, but I really have missed having a dog. He’s so much fun and full of energy, it takes a lot of fetch and frisbee playing to tire him out.
He’s such a sweetheart, we’re crazy about him. He has the cutest face, and the most gorgeous markings on his face. But I’m his mommy so I may be a bit biased here.
Anyway, potato salads. Yay or nay? I love potato salad and macaroni salads, especially in the summer. They’re my go to sides when it comes to BBQs. My Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad is always a big hit as well!
This here is a classic potato salad with celery and pickles. I like a little tang to my potato salads so I may tend to add more pickles than usual, but feel free to adjust the amount of pickles.
We probably all have our favorite potato salad that we grew up with and I’m sure there are numerous versions out there, with mustard, without mustard, with cucumbers, with pickles, no celery, with olives, the list goes on.
Of course, the classic potato salad is really about potatoes and so there are lots of potatoes here, my favorite to use are Yukon gold potatoes, just because I love their yellow color, but really this salad can be made with any kind of potatoes, even red skinned potatoes.
You can serve this salad at room temperature but I prefer mine chilled, I think the flavors come out a bit more after the salad has had a chance to chill for a couple hours. In that time, you can make a few other dishes to go with your summer spread. This salad would be amazing served with my Instant Pot BBQ Pork Ribs!
So this is my classic recipe, I’d love to hear about your favorite potato salads that you grew up with, and what made them special.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Classic Potato Salad
- 3 lb potatoes peeled and cut into cubes (I used Yukon Gold potatoes)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 medium pickles chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup chives chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 6 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- Add the cubed potatoes to a large pot and cover with water. Season with the tsp of salt. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are fork tender, should take about 15 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, red onion, lemon juice, pickles and paprika and stir until well combined. Stir in the chives, celery, hard boiled eggs and season with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes and toss them until well combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!