Last updated on November 5th, 2018 at 10:58 am
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs in less than 20 minutes from start to finish following the 5 5 5 method. Perfect hard boiled eggs every single time!
Believe it or not, some people have a hard time making hard boiled eggs. But that’s ok, because while hard boiled eggs are really easy to make, they are quite hard to perfect. Which is why the Instant Pot really takes all the guess work out of making perfect hard boiled eggs.
All you need is an Instant Pot, water and obviously, eggs.
If you look online there are many ways to hard boil eggs in the instant pot. There are many ways to hard boil eggs, in general. However, if you have an Instant Pot, I highly recommend using it, because using the 5 5 5 method, it couldn’t get any easier.
I love cooking my eggs this way for many reasons. I find them easier to peel, especially if you place them in a bowl with ice water, plus the most important fact is that they always all turn out evenly cooked. This recipe works great even if you’re only boiling a couple eggs or a dozen eggs.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT HARD BOILED EGGS
- While there are many methods, I found the 5 5 5 method to work the best. 5 5 5 method simply means 5 minutes on high pressure in the instant pot, 5 minutes on natural release and then 5 minutes in a bowl with ice cold water. Following this method, you will always end up with perfect hard boiled eggs.
- If you like your eggs softer, more of a runny yolk instead, you could start at just 3 minutes on high pressure.
- To prevent your eggs from getting that green ring around the yolk, it is important to place them in the ice cold water immediately as you take them out.
WHAT TO MAKE WITH HARD BOILED EGGS:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Add 1 cup of water to your Instant pot then add the metal trivet inside. Your Instant Pot should have come with a metal trivet.
- Place the eggs on top of the trivet. I have a 6 QT IP and I can easily fit 12 eggs on the trivet. You can make as many as 1 or to however many you can fit in your IP. Secure the lid onto the pot and make sure to turn the vent at the top of the IP to the "Sealing" Position.
- Press the "Manual" button on the IP then the "-" sign to lower the time to 5 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait 5 minutes for natural release then use quick release, placing a towel over the valve so steam doesn’t get everywhere. Carefully unlock and remove the lid from the instant pot.
- Transfer the eggs to a bowl with ice water and let them sit for 5 minutes. Doing this stops the eggs from cooking further. After 5 minutes peel and enjoy!
- Make sure your eggs are not submerged in water as this could affect the final result of the eggs.
- If using warm water, you may want to shorten the time from 5 minutes to 4 minutes, as warm water will take a shorter time to come to pressure.
- Store leftover eggs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.