Instant pot Chicken Breast – these juicy, flavourful chicken breasts are ready in 30 minutes and are perfect for lunch or dinner! They are so versatile and can be incorporated into your favourite dish or served as is, paired with your favourite sides – you can’t go wrong!
Chicken is a staple in most meals and this easy instant pot recipe will make it a staple in your life as well. Tender, juicy, mouthwatering chicken prepared and ready to serve in 30 minutes thanks to the instant pot? Sign me up.
I’ve made chicken many different ways and I must say chicken breast is probably one of the hardest that I notice people struggle with because most of the time it ends up dry. Cooking it in the Instant Pot, you are pretty much guaranteed with juicy and moist chicken breast every single time.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breasts
You can absolutely use frozen chicken breasts, but there are a couple things to keep in mind. In this recipe I first sear the chicken breast for extra flavor, if using frozen chicken you won’t be able to do that, so just skip that step.
The second thing to keep in mind is that for frozen chicken, while the cooking time will be the same, it will take longer to come to pressure, and it will take longer for the pressure to naturally release.
Can I Use Bone-In Skin-On Chicken Breasts
Absolutely! All you really need to do is cook it a little bit longer. Go ahead and sear the breasts the same way, and instead of 5 minutes, it will take 10 minutes to cook the chicken on high pressure. Follow the rest of the steps as instructed.
Keep scrolling down to the recipe card for the correct amounts or click on ‘Jump To Recipe’ at the top of this post.
- Chicken Breasts – Boneless and skinless work best.
- Spices – I used Italian Seasoning, garlic powder and smoked paprika. These are usually my go to spices for cooking chicken.
- Salt & Pepper – To taste.
- Olive Oil – If you don’t have olive oil you can use sunflower, safflower, avocado or vegetable oil.
- Chicken Broth – I opt for low sodium or no sodium added.
How to Make Chicken Breast in the Instant Pot
- Combine Spices – In a small bowl combine the spices and rub the spice mix generously over each chicken breast.
- Sear Chicken – Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté setting and add the olive oil to heat. When the olive oil is hot add the chicken breasts and sear on all sides. You might have to do this in 2 batches. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Cook Chicken – Pour the chicken broth into the Instant Pot, then place the trivet inside. Place the chicken on top of the trivet and close the Instant Pot lid. Seal the valve and set the Instant Pot to Manual/High Pressure for 5 minutes. Let the Instant Pot release naturally for 10 minutes, then release remaining pressure.
- Serve – Transfer the chicken to a cutting board or serving platter. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing or serving.
How To Make Gravy
I actually love to make some gravy with the leftover liquid in the Instant Pot. Trust me there is a lot of flavor there and it’s wonderful over this chicken breast.
To make the gravy, simply make a slurry with 2 tbsp of water and 1 tbsp of cornstarch. Set the Instant Pot to the Saute setting and bring the leftover liquid to a boil. Add the cornstarch slurry and whisk well. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened. That’s all!
What to Serve With Chicken Breast
Chicken is so universal. You can pair it with almost anything, which is why this recipe is great! It can be served as is or accompanied by your favourite side dishes. You can use these chicken breasts in a variety of different recipes such as quesadillas, casseroles, pastas, and more! Here are some side dishes that I love to pair with these instant pot chicken breasts:
- Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower (as seen in the photos)
- Roasted Green Beans and Mushrooms
- Garlic Herb Red Potato Salad
- Thyme Skillet Potatoes
- Avocado Tomato Salad
- Ultimate Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Orzo
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
How to Store Leftovers
You can keep your left over chicken sealed for up to 4 days in the fridge. This is great for quick lunches and dinners for the rest of the week!
If you’d like to keep your chicken for longer – store in the freezer in an airtight container, freezer bags, or wrapped tightly in aluminum foil or freezer wrap.
When thawing from frozen: it’s best to leave your chicken in the fridge overnight and then you can reheat in the microwave or oven. If you don’t want to use your microwave; keep in mind when reheating your chicken in the oven, you want to keep it covered so it doesn’t dry out. Cover the chicken and cook at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Did You Love This Recipe? Try These!
If you loved this recipe or want to experiment more with your instant pot, check out these recipes:
- Beef Brisket
- Cashew Chicken
- Butter Chicken
- Pasta e Fagioli
- Mashed Potatoes
- Mongolian Beef
- Tuscan White Beans
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- In a small bowl combine the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Rub the spice mix generously over each chicken breast.
- Set the Instant Pot to the Saute setting and add the olive oil to heat.
- When the olive oil is hot add the chicken breasts and sear on all sides. Do it in batches if not all the breasts fit. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Pour the chicken broth into the Instant Pot, then place the trivet inside. Place the chicken on top of the trivet and close the Instant Pot lid.
- Set the valve to sealing and set the Instant Pot to Manual/High Pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the Instant Pot release naturally for 10 minutes then release remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and transfer the chicken to a cutting board or serving platter. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing it or serving.
- You can keep your left over chicken sealed for up to 4 days in the fridge. This is great for quick lunches and dinners for the rest of the week!
- If you’d like to keep your chicken for longer – store in the freezer in an airtight container, freezer bags, or wrapped tightly in aluminum foil or freezer wrap.