Chicken Burritos – a Classic Mexican dish that will have the entire family, including those picky kids, running to the dinner table.
It’s the weekend and the weather is pretty depressing. It rained and it looks like it’s going to rain some more. But I don’t mind too much, because this weather is perfect for staying indoors and cooking. And that’s what I’m doing.
Take a look at these chicken burritos. Do they look good or what? They are really good, and very easy to make. And you know what else? They’re perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We just had them for breakfast and they did not disappoint. Great way to start the day.
I just think burritos are the the greatest thing ever invented because they’re so versatile. I know I probably need to get out more, but they are so fabulous. They may not be a fancy dish you’d order at an expensive restaurant, but they are a hearty meal that will satisfy you, and that’s what I’m going for here. Basic and simple recipes that make you go hmm. 🙂
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups Mexican rice
- 1 cup corn canned
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream
- nacho cheese sauce
Make the filling:
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Season the chicken breast pieces with the salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and dried oregano. Add chicken breast to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper to the skillet and stir. Cook until onion is translucent. Add the refried beans, water and stir everything together. Cook for 2 minutes until the mixture reduces slightly, and no longer watery.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Warming them up simply makes them more pliable.
- To assemble tortillas, layer them with rice, chicken filling, corn, cheese and then fold them up burrito style. You should have enough ingredients to make 6 burritos.
- Toast them in the oven for 10 minutes at 350°F, wrapped in foil, or pan fry over medium-high heat for 2 minutes per side until the tortilla is crispy and the cheese melts.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.