This Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup is a classic and hearty soup, requiring minimal effort giving you tender chicken, loads of noodles and a delicious broth.
CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
Chicken Noodle Soup has got to be my favorite soup of all time. It’s hearty and so comforting. It’s the soup I go to whenever I feel a cold coming on and it always makes me feel better.
Usually when I make chicken noodle soup I use a whole chicken with skin and bones and all. However, I wanted to show you how easy it is to just use chicken breasts. This time I used chicken with skin and bones on, but I’ve made this before with just skinless boneless chicken breasts. It’s up to you.
If you like dark meat you could also use thighs instead. Basically making chicken in the crockpot is the same as making it in a regular soup pot on the stove top just easier and less babysitting.
INGREDIENTS IN CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
The main ingredients in chicken noodle soup are chicken, noodles, onion, carrots, celery, herbs and spices. However, don’t be afraid to experiment with your chicken noodle soup, add some garlic and other veggies, such as peppers, cauliflower or zucchini.
WHAT IS VEGETA
Coming from Eastern Europe we always use Vegeta in soups. Vegeta is a Mediterranean seasoning made from dry vegetables and other spices. I’ve always used this, it gives the soup a beautiful yellow colour and an amazing taste.
Many times I’ll use this whenever a recipe calls for chicken broth because I really love the flavour. If you don’t have Vegeta you can use chicken base, chicken bouillon or even just chicken broth or chicken stock.
HOW TO MAKE CROCKPOT CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
This soup is easy, fresh and completely made from scratch. Making chicken noodle soup in the crockpot is as easy as dumping all the ingredients in the crockpot, set it and forget it.
I put the onion in whole and removed it because I’m fussy about my chicken noodle soup. I like a nice clear broth with just carrots, chicken and noodles. However, feel free to chop the onion and leave it in the soup. After you add everything to the crockpot, set it on low for 6 to 8 hours or high 4 hours.
Remove the onion, if using whole, and shred the chicken. Add the egg noodles and chicken back to the crockpot. You should use wide egg noodles just so you have the entire chicken noodle soup experience. Set this for another 30 minutes to 1 hour to cook just until the noodles are cooked through.
Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
HOW LONG DOES CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP LAST
Chicken noodle soup will last about 3 to 4 days in the fridge if properly stored in an airtight container.
You can also freeze it in airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. If properly stored, chicken noodle soup could last 4 to 6 months in the freezer.
CRAVING MORE SOUP RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup from scratch!
- Flu Fighter Chicken Noodle Soup
- Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin , optional
- 1 large onion peeled
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced or chopped
- 2 stalks celery optional, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts with skin and bones (2 or 3 breasts)
- 2 tbsp Vegeta or 2 tsp chicken base
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 8 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp rosemary dried, optional
- 4 oz egg noodles wide dry (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup parsley fresh, chopped for garnish
- Add the oil, onion, carrots, chicken, celery, Vegeta, salt, pepper, water, bay leaves and rosemary to your crockpot.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or 4 hours on high.
- Remove the onion and take out the chicken. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and shred with two forks. Add the chicken back to crockpot and add egg noodles. Cook for another 1 hour on high or until noodles are cooked.
- Garnish with parsley.
Originally shared April 2014.