I have been sick as a dog. The irony of it all is that I just got my flu shot last week and sure enough 2 days later I get sick. Not only do I have a horrible cold, which feels like the worst cold of the century, but we had so much snow yesterday, it’s like a complete winter wonderland out there, which mind you does not help with my cold. And this is an awful cold, I’m so stuffed up I can’t even sleep at night. It’s times like this when I really appreciate my husband for taking care of me as he does.
And you know what’s great on a snowy and cold day like this, because let’s face it, sick or not, we must still eat, is comfort food. Nothing to me spells comfort food than a warm chicken pot pie! But the great thing about this chicken pot pie is how easy it is to make because I made it in the crockpot! Well not the actual baking of the pie, but the pie filling itself, that delicious chicken pot pie filling. When you’re sick you don’t want to cook so this is perfect. I just put the ingredients in the crockpot and let that crockpot do all the work for me. You can’t beat that!
Also because I’m sick I did not make the pie crust myself, I simply used store bought pie crust, I used good old Pillsbury pie crust and this pie was the perfect comfort food that I craved. So next time you need a little pick me up, or you’re craving comfort food, this is the ultimate chicken pot pie.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 small chicken breasts or 2 larger ones boneless and skinless
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 med potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 can 10 oz condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pkg Pillsbury pie crust 2 crusts
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Place the chicken, carrots, frozen peas, potatoes, cream of chicken soup and water into the crockpot and toss so that it’s well combined. Season with salt and pepper and toss if needed.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Using a couple forks shred the chicken by pulling it apart with the forks right in the crockpot.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Prepare one of the pie crusts into a 9 inch pie dish. Spoon the chicken filling into the pie dish. Top with the 2nd pie crust and cut slits into the top crust to vent steam while baking.
- Brush pie with egg wash and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve while warm.