Learn how to make these delicious Crockpot Mashed Potatoes with half the effort but still loaded with tons of flavor! The easiest, creamiest and cheesiest mashed potatoes you will ever make.
I’ve been meaning to make these crockpot mashed potatoes for a long time now and finally I decided it was time. I knew I had 2 slow cookers, a rectangular one that I use for casseroles or cabbage rolls and a regular oval one like in these pictures. I usually keep mine in the garage for most of the year because there’s just no more room in my kitchen for anymore gadgets.
CROCKPOT MASHED POTATOES
I love the idea of making mashed potatoes in a crockpot, especially during the holidays. It’s so easy and you do everything in the crockpot, no bowls or pots to dirty besides the crockpot. After all, we need all the help we can get during the holidays.
HOW TO MAKE CROCKPOT MASHED POTATOES
We love our mashed potatoes and I’ve made them so many different ways before. With just milk and butter, with cream cheese, sometimes I even add a raw egg in it, but the bottom line is the creamier and cheesier they are the better.
These potatoes are slowly cooked in some milk and chicken broth, then mashed with a bit of butter, sour cream and Parmesan cheese. The result is creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes with a hint of garlic. I love the idea of the chicken broth here because it just makes them that much tastier. However feel free to replace the chicken broth with more milk.
WHAT POTATOES ARE BEST FOR MASHED POTATOES
Best potatoes for mashing are higher starch potatoes like Yukon golds, my favorite, or Russets. These potatoes will result in the fluffiest, smoothest and most flavor-packed mash.
Do not use potatoes such as red or white variates, as these require more mashing to become creamy.
If you’ve never made mashed potatoes in a slow cooker before, I hope you give these a try.
LOOKING FOR MORE CROCKPOT RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- The Best Crock Pot Roast
- Crockpot Honey Mustard Glazed Ham
- Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
- Crockpot Pork Carnitas
- Crockpot Cabbage Rolls
Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- 3.5 lb potatoes cleaned and cut into cubes *
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1 cup milk I used 2%
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated, 3 oz
- 2 tbsp chives chopped
- Add the cubed potatoes to your slow cooker. Add the chicken broth, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir everything together. Cover with the lid and cook on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. The potatoes should be fork tender when done.
- Add the butter to the potatoes and mash using a potato masher. Alternatively you can use a mixer to mix them until smooth, depends on what kind of consistency or texture you're going for.
- Stir in the sour cream and Parmesan cheese. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as necessary.
- Garnish with chives and serve hot.
- * I used Yukon gold potatoes, but red skin potatoes or russet potatoes would work as well.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To freeze mashed potatoes, transfer them to a large freezer bag or air tight container, and store in freezer for up to 2 months. The best way to reheat mashed potatoes is to first thaw them out in the refrigerator then add the potatoes to the slow cooker and heat on low for 2 to 4 hours. You can also heat them in a microwave at half power for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Note: Time may vary depending on amount of mashed potatoes. Once reheated if mashed potatoes seem to be on the watery side, stir in some sour cream or cream cheese to give them a thicker and creamier consistency.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.