This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This East African Braised Chicken is a traditional African dish. This aromatic chicken is braised in chicken broth, white wine, dates and golden raisins. Indian spices combined with traditional African braising techniques results in a spectacular chicken dish.
If there’s one thing blogging has taught me is to be open when it comes to trying different cuisines because many times when I think a recipe is just too weird, I always end up pleasantly surprised.
For many years now I’ve been cooking recipes from all over the world but I haven’t made too many African dishes.
This chicken dish is paired together with plump golden raisins, dates and Indian spices resulting in one delicious dinner. As this chicken cooks in the oven, it will fill your house with amazing aromas.
Don’t let the list of ingredients scare you off, it’s just simple spices like cinnamon, cardamom and chili powder which you probably already have in your spice cabinet right now.
The result of all these ingredients is amazing. The chicken is tender, falls off the bone, a bit sweet from the golden raisins and dates, yet a bit spicy from all the spices. You can serve this over rice, couscous, a side of roasted potatoes or just a simple fresh salad.
So next time you want to make a chicken dinner, consider this recipe. These exotic flavours are sure to impress your family.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Leave a comment below and rate this recipe or take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 1 chicken breast (with skin and bone, cut in half)
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken wings
- 2 chicken thighs (with skin and bones)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (fresh, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium )
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoon dates (pitted, chopped)
- 3 tablespoon golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add onion to the pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. The onion will begin to caramelize. After 10 minutes, add ginger, curry powder, cinnamon, cardamom, red pepper and garlic. Stir in the chicken broth and white wine. Add chicken back to pan and add the dates and golden raisins. Stir gently and bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.