Last updated on March 1st, 2019 at 01:50 pm
You can forget take-out with this Easy Shrimp Fried Rice! Make your own fried rice at home, so much better and much healthier. A quick and easy Asian inspired recipe perfect for busy weeknights and ready in 30 minutes.
SHRIMP FRIED RICE
Who doesn’t love take out. When we used to live in the city we used to order a lot from Skip the Dishes. Now that we live outside of the city, there’s no Skip the Dishes, plus not a lot of restaurants around to order take out. Which is why I have to make my own “takeout” because we still love it. A lot!
Shrimp fried rice is the perfect dinner to make after a long and hard day at work. You can be done in 30 minutes, plus you can use frozen veggies like carrots and peas. Oh yeah! Making shrimp fried rice is really easy, if you know how to make it the right way. Plus, let’s not forget the best thing about making your own food. We know what goes in it!
Shrimp fried rice is great because it’s versatile and customizable to fit your own taste. You don’t like peas? Leave them out! You want mushrooms, by all means, add mushrooms. If you don’t like shrimp, use chicken or beef, or pork, or even tofu for a vegetarian version. If you’re brave, add them all for a meat lovers fried rice. Your kitchen, your rules!
INGREDIENTS IN SHRIMP FRIED RICE
As I mentioned, the ingredients in fried rice can be changed around to fit your taste buds. However, here are the ingredients I used:
- Cooked rice, preferably chilled over night
- Green Bell Pepper
- Frozen peas
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
HOW TO MAKE SHRIMP FRIED RICE
This is a very easy recipe to make. It’s best if you prepare all your ingredients so they are ready for cooking. Once you start cooking everything will go really quick.
Fry the beaten egg for about a minute on both sides. You’ll need a bit of oil to keep it from sticking. I decided to make it as an omelette so that I can cut it up after, but you can also do it as scrambled eggs.
Remove the eggs from the pan and add a bit of oil to the pan. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook the shrimp about 2 to 3 min per side, or until the shrimp starts to get golden. Remove the shrimp from the pan.
Add a bit more oil, then throw in the veggies. I used a bit of onion, bell pepper, carrots and peas. Don’t throw the peas in yet, let the veggies sweat a bit, until the onion is nice and translucent and the carrots soften up a bit.
Add the frozen peas in and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add the cooked rice to the skillet and drizzle with some soy sauce, I always use the low sodium one. You’ll need about 1/4 cup or so. If you want to give the rice a darker color, use a tsp of dark soy sauce.
Chop up the egg and add it back to the skillet along with the shrimp. Toss it all together and you’ve got dinner. If you want to spice things up a bit, throw in some hot sauce, don’t be shy.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST SHRIMP FRIED RICE
Use previously cooked and chilled leftover rice as it’s had a chance to dry up in the refrigerator. If you use freshly cooked rice, you’ll end up with too much moisture in the rice.
Fry ingredients separately. You want all veggies or proteins to have their own taste, if you throw in everything together, they will all taste the same.
The trick to good fried rice is to make sure you use high heat! This way everything fries up quickly.
Well that’s how you make shrimp fried rice. Pretty easy, eh?
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER SHRIMP FRIED RICE
Store leftovers in an an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
CAN YOU FREEZE SHRIMP FRIED RICE?
Absolutely! You can totally freeze shrimp fried rice. Store it in airtight containers or freezer bags and freeze for up to 2 or 3 months. When ready to serve again, simply thaw it and throw it in a skillet for about 5 to 10 minutes.
TRY THESE OTHER 30 MINUTE RECIPES:
Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
- Season the eggs with a bit of salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil to a pan and heat it over medium high heat. Add the beaten eggs to the pan and cook for about 1 to 2 min. Flip them over and cook for 1 minute. Remove the eggs from pan and set aside.
- Add the other tbsp of olive oil to the pan and heat. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook the shrimp about 2 to 3 min per side, or until the shrimp starts to get golden. Remove the shrimp from the pan.
- Add the sesame oil to the pan and heat. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper and carrot to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent and the carrots soften up. Add the frozen peas and season a bit with salt and pepper.Cook for 2 more minutes until the peas are no longer frozen and cook a bit.
- Chop the omelette into small thin pieces.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan, add the soy sauce over the rice. Throw in the shrimp and chopped egg. Toss everything together and cook for a couple more minutes then serve.
- Store leftovers in an an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To freeze, store it in airtight containers or freezer bags and freeze for up to 2 or 3 months. When ready to serve again, simply thaw it and throw it in a skillet for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.