Last updated on March 27th, 2019 at 09:18 pm
These Easy Chicken Fajitas will become your favorite weeknight meal! Just like the restaurant version but homemade and ready in 30 minutes.
Before we get into the recipe, I just wanted to say I’ve had one of the best weeks ever with my friend Nagi from RecipeTin who visited me all the way from Australia and we had a blast. I didn’t know two people could talk as much as we did. In the 5 days she was here, there wasn’t a moment of silence.
We didn’t even do much sightseeing besides going to the Stampede, some shopping and going to Saskatoon Farm where we had the best Saskatoon berry pie ever. The stampede was fun as always, I don’t think we’ve ever had a bad time there. Of course we had to sample pretty much all the foods there, which were all deep fried. My favorite were the deep fried oreos, never thought I’d say that but yeah, I really did love them.
Anyway, I’m now sharing with you, or should I say resharing with you my favorite easy chicken fajita recipe with new pictures and video.
What Are Fajitas?
Did you know that fajitas is a Spanish term and it usually refers to a grilled meat served in a taco or a flour corn tortilla? So you can literally make these fajitas with any meat you like. However, chicken fajitas are my favorite. So since it usually refers to a grilled meat, you can grill the chicken breasts then cut them up in thin strips and pile them up on your tortillas. However, I love my skillet meals, so I made this all in one skillet.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
It’s quick as in 30 minutes, all in one pot, and pretty healthy considering all the bad food we’ve had this week. Nothing is deep fried here. I learned to make this dish a long time ago when I first lived on my own, we’re talking a very long time ago. It’s very easy to make, full of flavor and it was my go to meal for a quick yummy dinner. Did I mention fajitas are like my favorite food ever!
I do cook the chicken separately from the veggies because obviously the chicken takes longer to cook, but before the veggies are done I add the chicken back to the skillet and toss everything together.
To serve these fajitas all you’ll really need are some tortillas, sour cream and salsa. This is such a great meal, it’s filling and it’s delicious and you can literally put this together any night of the week in half an hour.
Craving More Mexican Food? Try These:
- Pork Fajitas
- Fajita Potato Bites
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
- Chicken Fajita Pizza
- Baked Chicken Fajita Taquitos
Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Cut the chicken breasts into long strips; set aside. Slice the onion into long strips. Slice the peppers into long 1/4 inch strips.
- Heat the olive in a large skillet. Add the chicken to the skillet then sprinkle about half of the fajita seasoning over the chicken and toss. Cook the chicken for 5 to 10 minutes until it's fully cooked and no longer pink, and it's slightly charred, but not burned. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add another tbsp of olive oil to the skillet, if needed. I used a non stick skillet, so it wasn't necessary to add anymore oil. Add the onion and cook for a couple minutes until it's slightly translucent. Add the peppers and the remaining fajita seasoning and toss. Cook for another 3 to 5 more minutes so the peppers cook slightly, you don't want them over cooked, they should be a bit crunchy. Add the chicken back to the skillet and toss with the peppers.
- Serve over tortillas and top with salsa, sour cream and any of your favorite toppings.