This Grasshopper Cocktail is a fun, bright green, dessert-style cocktail with notes of chocolate and mint. Made with fresh cream, crème de menthe and white crème de cacao.
The grasshopper is such a treat of a cocktail. It’s like drinking melted ice cream, with alcohol in it of course. When I first heard of this cocktail I couldn’t get over its green hue and I think it’s just so much fun! I wanted to share with you all how to bring some colour and a little added oomph to your evenings.
Made with fresh cream to give it that smooth, creamy texture and hints of chocolate and mint from the liqueur this grasshopper cocktail is an absolute delight! We are using white creme de cacao in this recipe to make sure the green colour from the creme de menthe really stands out and catches the eye! Let’s get mixing!
What is a grasshopper cocktail?
A Grasshopper is a fun and sweet, mint-flavored, after-dinner drink. Because of the crème de menthe this cocktail has a green colour that makes it a very distinguishable drink. A bar in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana – “Tujague’s” claims the drink was invented in 1918 by the owner, Philip Guichet.
Keep scrolling to the recipe card for a list of FULL ingredient amounts and instructions or click the “Jump to Recipe” button at the top of the page!
- Creme de Menthe – Make sure to get green!
- White Creme de Cacao – Used in most dessert-style cocktails. If you want that nice green colour, you’ll want to use the white.
- Heavy Cream
How to make a grasshopper
- Mix – Combine creme de menthe, creme de cacao, cream, and ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake until chilled. Strain into chilled cocktail glass.
How to serve
Typically served as a dessert-style, after dinner drink – the grasshopper is best served chilled. This drink reminds me of a boozy, melted chocolate-chip mint ice cream so I like to garnish it with some mint leaves and shaved chocolate to add a little extra pizazz!
Did you like this cocktail recipe? Try these!
- Manhattan Drink
- Moscow Mule
- Pomegranate Cider Mimosas
- Classic Canadian Caesar
- Pina Colada
- The Ultimate Mojito
- Hot Mulled Cider
- Red Grapefruit and Basil Mimosas
- Sangria Blanco
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
- ¾ ounce creme de menthe
- ¾ ounce white creme de cacao
- ¼ ounce heavy cream
- ½ cup ice
- Combine creme de menthe, creme de cacao, cream, and ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake until chilled. Strain into chilled cocktail glass.
- Serve chilled garnished with mint or shaved white chocolate.