This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Rich and creamy homemade vanilla pudding, made with milk, cornstarch, sugar, butter, egg and vanilla extract. Nothing beats homemade vanilla pudding.
Have you ever made homemade vanilla pudding? And I don’t mean the one that comes out of the box. Well it’s not that difficult. With a few ingredients, you’ve got yourself a great little dessert. You will love this, it will be the best vanilla pudding you’ve ever had.
Pudding is one of those things that I grew up with. I’ve always loved pudding, vanilla pudding, chocolate pudding, rice pudding, you name it and I love it. You can make this vanilla pudding with a real vanilla bean or just use vanilla extract. I happened to use vanilla extract this time, because I didn’t have anymore beans.
Pudding is a dessert that is easy to make, you quickly put it together with some milk, eggs, sugar and you thicken it with cornstarch. It may sound plain, but serve it with some berries like I did, and you’ve just made an exquisite dessert.
You’ll need a medium saucepan in which you’ll mix together the sugar, cornstarch and salt, and just whisk it until there are no more lumps from the starch.
In another bowl crack the egg and whisk, then add the milk to it and mix it well. Pour the milk mixture over the sugar mixture and turn the heat to medium. You’ll have to whisk the milk frequently to avoid lumps. As the milk mixture thickens and before it starts boiling, start adding the butter and vanilla extract and continue whisking. After it comes to a boil, keep it on the heat, while still whisking, for another minute or so and it’s done.
Let it cool completely and serve it with some strawberries and blueberries and enjoy!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Leave a comment below and rate this recipe or take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Homemade Vanilla Pudding
- In a medium saucepan heat the milk until it start to bubble, over medium heat.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt. Add this to the hot milk, a little at a time, stirring continuously to dissolve. You'll have to continue to whisk to avoid lumps.
- In another bowl beat the egg and gradually stir a couple ladles of the hot milk mixture into the egg, then pour this back into the saucepan. Continue to boil and stir for another minute, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour the pudding into dessert dishes, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled before serving.