Now you can have restaurant style Butter Chicken homemade and in only 30 minutes. This Instant Pot Butter Chicken is extraordinary with a rich and creamy sauce and a fantastic blend of spices.
As promised, here’s my super easy butter chicken recipe that’s done in 30 minutes start to finish in an Instant Pot. I am absolutely in love with my Instant Pot and I’m just wondering what took me so long to get one. Doesn’t matter. It’s here to stay and I’m super happy with it. Especially when it’s so easy to make my favorite Indian dish, butter chicken.
I’ve made butter chicken before because as I’ve just mentioned, it is my favorite. It was always something that would take me over an hour. I mean it takes longer to order butter chicken from a restaurant and have it delivered. As I always say homemade is always better.
WHAT IS BUTTER CHICKEN
Butter chicken is a modern Indian dish of chicken in a tomato, butter and cream sauce.
I love Indian food in general but for some reason butter chicken is always my go to dish. I think it’s the rich and creamy tomato sauce that I love so much and that chicken that practically melts in your mouth. Which is why I love to use chicken thighs for this dish because they are juicier. However, chicken breast works as well. Totally up to you.
The great part about using the Instant Pot to make this is that the chicken cooks really quick. 5 minutes to be exact.
WHAT SPICES GO IN BUTTER CHICKEN
The thing that might scare you away from making butter chicken are all the spices. What I usually do is once or twice a month I’ll buy a spice that I don’t have, so within a few months you have all sort of spices and it won’t feel like you had to spend all that money at once.
The main spices that go in butter chicken are garam masala, coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric and salt. In the grand scheme of things, there are not too many spices.
WHAT IS GARAM MASALA
Garam masala is a staple spice which when translated it means “warm spice”. It usually includes cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, cumin, coriander, nutmeg and peppercorns.
LOOKING FOR MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- 3 tbsp butter unsalted
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced (or paste)
- 1 cup tomato puree or passata
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless and skinless, cut into pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. (See your manufacturer's guide for detailed instructions on how to use your instant pot.)
- Add the butter and cook until the butter has melted. Add the garlic and ginger and saute for another minute or until the garlic becomes aromatic. Do not cook too long because you don't want to burn it.
- Add the tomato puree and tomato paste to the Instant Pot and stir. Add the garam masala, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric and salt to the Instant Pot, stir and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs, water and stir everything together. There should be enough liquid in the pot to cover the chicken, so add more water if needed.
- Close the lid (follow the manufacturer's guide for instructions on how to close the instant pot lid). Set the Instant Pot to the Poultry setting and set the timer to 5 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete, should take about 10 minutes. Follow the manufacturer's guide for quick release, if in a rush. Carefully unlock and remove the lid from the instant pot.
- Switch the Instant Pot to the saute setting (do not put the lid on). Add the whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken and reduce a bit. You don't want it to reduce too much.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve warm over rice and with naan.
- I strongly recommend reading the manufacturer's guide for instructions on how to use your Instant Pot before attempting this recipe.
- Chicken breasts can also be used.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.