Last updated on November 4th, 2018 at 06:16 pm
This Instant Pot Mongolian Beef is your answer to “take-out” at home! Much better than the restaurant version, easy, saucy, tender beef, delicious and ready in minutes!
After all this time, I still love my Instant Pot and I still use it on a weekly basis. Sometimes even twice or three times in a week. Not because I love it so much, but because it’s that convenient. I love making soups in it, but it is also perfect for cooking beef, because you will always end up with the most tender beef ever.
Mongolian Beef is one of my favorite take-out dishes, but I no longer go out to restaurants for it, I make it myself at home, so easy and so much better.
When we moved a few months ago, we moved outside the big city to a small town of about 4000 people. Not a lot of restaurants here and I had to say goodbye to my beloved Skip the dishes. This meant one thing. More cooking for me. Not that I mind, I love cooking, but I also love my takeout. Which is why I now make a lot more of these Asian dishes at home. I love it, hubs loves it, it’s all good!
TIPS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT MONGOLIAN BEEF:
Use the right cut of beef. Typically Mongolian beef is made with flank steak, but top round beef can also be used. To slice it easier, place the beef in the freezer for about 20 minutes before slicing. This will make it so much easier to slice it as thinly as possible. Always slice the beef against the grain.
Make sure to toss the beef with cornstarch before cooking and let it sit for 5 minutes before searing. This is known as velveting and you’ll end up with very tender meat. Do not use flour, the results will not be the same.
When searing the beef, do not overcrowd the pan. Do it in batches. If you add too much beef to the pan, you will not sear the meat, it will steam it instead. This step can also be done separately from the instant pot, in another skillet if preferred.
WHAT TO SERVE MONGOLIAN BEEF WITH:
Serve it over white rice or brown rice. I prefer Jasmine rice or Basmati rice.
Noodles such as ramen noodles or rice noodles.
LOOKING FOR MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot General Tso’s Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Chicken Shawarma
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- In a large bowl toss the flank steak strips with the cornstarch together and let them sit for 5 minutes. This will ensure the cornstarch penetrates the beef.
- Make the sauce: In a medium size bowl add the rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and whisk well. Set aside.
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. (See your manufacturer's guide for detailed instructions on how to use your instant pot.)
- Add half of the sesame oil to the pot. When the oil is hot add half of the flank steak and cook 2 to 3 minutes until it starts to brown. Remove from the pot and repeat with remaining sesame oil and beef. Return all the beef to the pot and press the cancel button on your Instant Pot.
- Pour the sauce over the beef and stir well.
- Close the lid (follow the manufacturer's guide for instructions on how to close the instant pot lid). Set the Instant Pot to the Manual (high pressure) setting and set the timer to 10 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a quick release to depressurize.
- Stir in the green onions and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve over rice.
- TIP: To slice the steak easier, place it in the freezer for 20 minutes before slicing.
- MEAT: Top round beef can also be used for this. You can also use chicken breast or thighs instead of beef.
- What is an Instant Pot: An IP is a multi-cooker, it's like seven different appliances all in one! It does the job of a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, etc.
- I don't have an Instant Pot, can I still make this: Yes! Check out my Mongolian Beef recipe here.
- Nutrition: Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.