Last updated on November 5th, 2018 at 11:34 am
One Pot Chicken and Mushroom Tetrazzini – a simple but creamy, rich and delicious pasta dish with chicken and mushrooms ready in 45 minutes from start to finish. Perfect for busy weeknights.
One pot meals! Is there anything better for a busy household? I think not! I love one pot meals and this chicken and mushroom tetrazzini is so easy and simple to make all in one pot and in only 45 minutes, it can be on your dinner table for everyone to enjoy!
The funny thing is that I always thought tetrazzini was an Italian dish, but according to Wikipedia it’s not, it’s an American dish, so go figure.
The beauty of this dish is that you can use different kinds of veggies, but I decided to go with mushrooms and peas. I always go with what I have in the fridge. And I had shiitake mushrooms, but regular white mushrooms will work just as well.
Tetrazzini was actually named after an opera singer, who knew? So there is no universal standard for the dish, it’s like a free for all. You can even make it with turkey or tuna.
The sauce is a creamy sauce made from butter, flour, milk and chicken broth, sort of like a bechamel sauce, but many times people would use cans of cream of chicken and/or cream of mushroom. In my one pot version I cooked the fettuccine directly in the sauce, to make things easier for you. Once the pasta is cooked you can add some cheese on top, I used Parmesan cheese but often times people add cheddar cheese. Also the dish is usually baked for a few minutes to give it a brown crust on top, however I decided against that here because I wanted a creamy version.
Although this dish takes a bit longer than 30 minutes, a whopping 45 minutes, it’s a simple recipe giving you a creamy, cheesy and delicious pasta. Perfect for the busy moms out there.
LOOKING FOR MORE PASTA DISHES? TRY THESE:
- Skillet White Chicken Lasagna
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata Fettuccine
- Easy Creamy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
One Pot Chicken and Mushroom Tetrazzini
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 chicken breast boneless and skinless, cut into cubes
- 2 cups mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder optional
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 cup milk I used 2%
- 8 oz fettuccine or spaghetti, uncooked
- 1/4 cup peas frozen
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
- In a large pot, melt 2 tbsp of butter over medium high heat. Add the chicken cubes and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder for a bit of garlic flavor. Remove the chicken and mushroom from the pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter to the pot and whisk in the flour. Add the chicken broth and milk and whisk. Cook the sauce until it comes to a boil, it should thicken as the flour cooks.
- Turn the heat down to low, add the pasta, the chicken and mushrooms back to the pot. Stir well. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes until the pasta is al dente, stirring often to avoid the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pot. After cooking the pasta for 15 minutes add the peas and season with salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top and parsley.
- If you prefer a brown crusty top, after adding the Parmesan cheese place the pot in the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 375 F degrees. Make sure you use an oven safe pot.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.