Last updated on May 31st, 2018 at 12:01 pm
One Pot Creamy Chicken with Mushroom and Leek Rice – a really satisfying and delicious dish and a perfect way to hide some veggies.
I’m really excited to share with you another one pot meal and this one is a bit different. It’s really a casserole creamy rice dish with mushrooms, leeks and chicken. I love these types of casseroles because they’re so easy to hide veggies in them for those picky veggie eating type of people. You know who you are! This is another easy dish that’s a true indication of the type of meals that will be in my book, except those will all be 30 minutes or less. Speaking of which, I’m so thrilled, I’m finally proofreading the book and let me just say, it’s looking great!
I have to say I really really love leeks and love making all kinds of dishes with them, like these fabulous meatballs in beer sauce with leeks, or my mushroom and leek strudel which is just delightful. And leeks and mushrooms go really well together. Not to mention these 2 ingredients together are the beginning of a wonderful frittata. I could go on and on.
I like to start this dish by first pan frying the chicken until golden brown. I cut the chicken first into smaller strips, so that it cooks faster and this way I can ensure that the chicken will be cooked through. You can then remove the chicken from the pan and add the mushrooms and leeks which you want to saute until soft. I used cremini mushrooms, but white mushrooms work just as well. You can then add the wine, heavy cream, chicken broth and the rice. I love adding a bit of white wine, I find that it provides a bit of sweetness to the dish.
You can then cover this up and cook for 15 minutes until the rice is not quite yet cooked but has absorbed most of the liquid. I then like to add the chicken back to the saucepan and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until the rice has finished cooking. Alternatively you could finish this in the oven as well, especially if you wanted to top it off with some cheese. I personally prefer it without cheese and just love to garnish it with lots of fresh parsley. This dish makes for great leftovers too.
If you don’t like leeks, I’d go with some spinach instead or even kale would be really nice here. However, if you’re not going to use leeks, since leeks come from the onion family I’d add a chopped onion and saute that first a bit until soft before adding the mushroom and whatever other greens you decide to go with.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
One Pot Creamy Chicken with Mushroom and Leek Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lb chicken breasts boneless and skinless cut into long strips
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 leeks sliced or chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium high heat. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add the butter to the same skillet and melt. Once the butter has melted and is hot, add the leeks and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes until the leeks are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine, heavy cream, rice and chicken broth to the saucepan. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Stir everything together, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat. Add the chicken back to the pan, cover and cook for another 5 or 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked and has absorbed most of the liquid
- Garnish with parsley and serve.