This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
With the perfect balance between gooey goodness and satisfying crunch, Rice Krispie Treats have rightfully earned their place as a timeless family favorite. Crafted with just four simple ingredients and ready in under 30 minutes, these classic no-bake sweet treats never go out of style!
Best Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Rice Krispie Treats are more than a treat; they’re a delicious symbol of nostalgia that just never gets old! Made with just 4 ingredients including crispy rice cereal and melted marshmallows, these delightful squares are an irresistible blend of tastes and textures. From the initial crunch of the cereal to the gooey chew, they have been a beloved treat for generations.
And there are loads of Rice Krispie treats recipes out there! But what sets my recipe apart is the perfect balance of each ingredient and a little splash of aromatic pure vanilla extract. The addition of vanilla adds a layer of depth to the flavor that elevates ordinary crispy rice cereal treats to an addictively good indulgence.
Why You’ll Love Rice Krispie Treats
- Quick and Easy! Sometimes you need a treat that doesn’t demand hours in the kitchen. With just a handful of ingredients and a few easy steps, this no bake dessert comes together in a snap.
- Yummy Favorite! When the crunch of the rice cereal meets the buttery, gooey marshmallows an irresistible combination of yummy flavor and crisp, chewy texture is born!
- Versatile Treat! This classic is easy to customize. Feel free to add chocolate chips, rainbow sprinkles, or even swirl in some peanut butter to craft peanut butter rice krispie treats!
- Rice Krispies Cereal – The foundation of the sweet treats. You can use any brand of crispy rice cereal you like.
- Butter – This is one dessert that actually doesn’t call for unsalted butter. However, if don’t have any salted butter on hand, just add a pinch of salt.
- Marshmallows – The key ingredient that gives the treats their irresistible texture. Feel free to use any size of marshmallows you like.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – Just a dash gives them a hint of aromatic flavor.
Dessert doesn’t get much easier than this! This no-bake crispy treats recipe takes just minutes to make and is perfect for a fun day in the kitchen with the kids.
To begin, you need to melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over low heat. Next, toss the marshmallows into the melted butter and then stir the mixture with a rubber spatula until the marshmallows are melted and smooth.
First, take the pan off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Now, add the Rice Krispies and fold them into the marshmallow mixture until all the cereal is well coated. You want to do this step while the marshmallow mixture is still warm because it makes the process significantly easier.
After the melted marshmallows and rice cereal is fully combined, press it evenly into a 13×9 inch pan coated with cooking spray. It’s sticky, so you’ll want to use a butter spatula or wax paper to keep the mixture from sticking to you and your cooking tools.
Now, all you have to do is let the mixture completely cool in the pan. Then cut it into squares and your Rice Krispie treats are ready to devour!
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I add to the treats?
The possibilities are endless! Some popular additions include chocolate chips, colorful sprinkles, nuts, extra marshmallows, dried fruits, m&m’s, or a swirl of peanut butter. Just fold them in gently after combining the cereal and marshmallow mixture.
Why are my rice krispie treats hard?
If your treats turn out too hard, it could be due to overcooking the marshmallows or not mixing the cereal and marshmallow mixture correctly.
Are rice crispy treats gluten-free?
Yes, they can be! Just use certified gluten-free crispy rice cereal and marshmallows.
Are rice crispy treats healthy?
While Rice Krispie treats are undoubtedly delicious, they are considered a treat due to their sugar content. While they do offer some energy from the cereal, they are not a nutrient-rich snack.
- Don’t burn the butter. If you accidentally burn the butter you need to start over. Brown butter will make the treats have a bitter and unappealing taste.
- Measure the ingredients accurately. From the butter to the marshmallows and cereal, the secret to this recipe is all about the perfect ratio of chewy to crunch. If you have too much of one ingredient or not enough of another it can lead to dry treats.
- Mold the cereal mixture quickly. Once you’ve mixed the melted marshmallows and cereal together, press it into your pan right away. The mixture gets harder to work with as it cools.
- Use parchment paper. You can line your pan with parchment paper before pressing in the mixture. This trick makes it easier to lift out the treats once they’re set.
Once you’ve cooled and cut your Rice Krispie treats, place them in an airtight container to maintain their freshness. They can then be stored at room temperature for about a week. It’s also possible to store leftovers in the freezer for up to 2 months, but you’ll want to separate the treats with parchment paper before freezing.
Discover More Treats
- Sex In A Pan
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Peanut Butter Brownies
- No Bake Oreo Cake Pops
- Congo Bars
- Rainbow Fruit Skewers With Yogurt Dip
- Granola Bars
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir constantly until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal and stir until well coated.
- Using a buttered spatula or wax paper, press the mixture evenly into a 13×9 inch pan coated with cooking spray.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and set, about 1 hour, then cut into squares and serve.
- Butter the Pan: For easy removal, generously butter your pan or line it with parchment paper. This keeps the treats from sticking and makes clean-up a breeze.
- Fresh Marshmallows: Use fresh, soft marshmallows for the best gooey texture. Avoid using stale or hard marshmallows.
- Gentle Mixing: Stir the cereal into the marshmallow mixture gently to avoid crushing the Rice Krispies and to maintain their crunch.
- Setting Time: Allow the treats to set completely before cutting. This makes for cleaner, more even squares.
- Variations: Feel free to mix in extras like chocolate chips, peanut butter, or colorful sprinkles for a fun twist!
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.