This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Smashed Avocado Bacon Breakfast Sandwiches – delicious healthy breakfast sandwiches. Poached eggs, smashed avocados, turkey bacon, cheddar cheese, all the makings of a most delicious breakfast sandwich.
Well it’s all over now, Valentine’s day and my birthday. I’m glad! I’m officially one year older, and I’m not going to tell you how old I am. There was a time when I didn’t use to care. Now I do, funny how that works. I hate getting old and I know we all do, nobody wants to get older but there’s nothing we can do about it.
My husband is a sweetheart. He got me these beautiful purple tulips for Valentine’s day and I love the color so much I just had to take a picture of them and share them with you here. Aren’t they gorgeous?
Anyway back to my breakfast sandwich recipe. This sandwich is to die for!!! My husband and I made these together and they’re so good we made a couple for each of us. Yes I know we’re pigs but they are healthy, I mean we’re talking smashed avocados, poached eggs, turkey bacon, yeah the healthy kind, and delicious cheddar cheese on whole wheat rolls. Am I right or am I right? Delish!!
The smashed avocado is really simple to make, you simply smash a couple avocados with your fork, drizzle with some lime juice just so they don’t turn brown, and season with salt and pepper. Couldn’t get any easier. And the great thing about smashed avocados is that you could literally put them on any sandwich you make. Total nutrients boost.
And bacon…oh how I love bacon, but it’s good bacon, it’s turkey bacon. Have you ever tried it? It tastes almost like the real thing, but leaner, but the salty bacony flavor is there, which is what we love about bacon. So easy to crisp up too, this is how I do it. I cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, place a cookie rack over it, and nicely arrange my bacon on the rack. Then I place it in the oven and bake it for about 20 minutes at 400 F degrees. After 20 minutes you have nice crispy delicious bacon and no cleaning required. Just throw out the aluminum foil. I’m all about easy and less dish washing.
Poached eggs. You don’t have to poach your eggs here, you can fry them, boil them, hey whatever strikes your fancy. I wanted my eggs poached so I poached them. Easy peasy. Boil some water. You can add a bit of vinegar if you wish, the vinegar will help set the egg whites as you drop the egg in the boiling water, but some say the vinegar adds a flavor to the eggs so you can skip it. So carefully drop an egg in the boiling water, wait about 3 minutes then using a slotted spoon, spoon out the egg. And that’s all she wrote.
All that’s left to do is to assemble your sandwiches, smashed avocado, cheese, bacon, egg, season with salt and pepper and enjoy my friends. It’s a good breakfast.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Smashed Avocado Bacon Breakfast Sandwiches
- 4 whole wheat rolls
- 4 eggs
- 2 avocados
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by covering it with aluminum foil; place a cookie rack over the foil. Arrange bacon slice over rack. Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp.
- To poach eggs, bring water to a boil. You may add a bit of vinegar to the water to help set the egg whites, this is totally optional. Slowly drop the eggs in the water. Cook for about 3 minutes or until done to your liking. Use a slotted spoon to spoon the eggs out of the water.
- In a small bowl smash the avocados with a fork, drizzle with lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble sandwich, cut the rolls in half, spread smashed avocado over bottom of roll, top with cheese slice, 2 pieces of bacon, egg and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining rolls and ingredients.
- Calories vary based on brands of ingredients used. Although calories seem high for a sandwich they are mostly from the avocado which has tons of health benefits.