It’s been a very busy and stressful week at work and when I get worked up like this, my favorite thing to do is to bake. Baking really relaxes me. What better thing to bake than these delicious cheddar cheese buttermilk biscuits. These biscuits are so tender, flaky, cheesy and they smell heavenly. I had them with my eggplant salad, but you can have them with a cup of coffee so they are perfect for breakfast, or they would be great with some jam or even just plain. I really urge you to try these, you don’t have to be a biscuit fan to like these, I guarantee you will love them.
You can cut these any way you want, I usually use a 2 inch cookie cutter to cut my biscuits, but you could cut them square, triangular like scones, it’s totally up to you. The shape doesn’t really matter.
I could never get tired of making cheese biscuits, the problem is I forget about them, until I see them in a coffee shop somewhere and then I get the urge run home and make them. They are such an easy thing to make and so worth it.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ sticks cold unsalted butter, diced
- ½ cup cold buttermilk, shaken
- 1 cold egg
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well and place the bowl in the fridge for about 30 min.
- Cut the cold butter into pieces, and let it sit out, we just want it to soften a bit.
- Place the flour mixture in the bowl of a mixer and add the butter and the grated cheese. Using the paddle attachment mix until the butter forms into small peas. You can also do this by hand using a pastry blender.
- Whisk the cold egg together with the buttermilk and add it to the mixer and continue mixing until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and continue kneading a few times. Roll out the dough so that it’s about half an inch thick to ¾ of an inch.
- Using a round cookie cutter, you can also use a glass if you don’t have a round cookie cutter, start cutting the biscuits. My cookie cutter was about 2 inches in diameter.
- Brush the biscuits with the egg wash and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes then let cool on a wire rack.