Is it a custard? Is it a pancake? No it’s a clafoutis! Cherry clafoutis to be exact.
I love summer. So many fruits, so many possibilities for desserts. One of my favorite things to bake in the summer is clafoutis. I have made an apricot clafoutis before, berries, peaches, but my favorite is with cherries. If you’ve never had a clafoutis, I really recommend you try it. The batter has very little flour, so it ends up like a thick custard, a flan like batter, so it’s very light. I love it with cherries, because they are tart and sweet and just so delicious. The main reason you should try this, is because of how easy it is to make. You can literally put it together in a matter of minutes.Give it shot, you won’t regret it!
For this beautiful clafoutis, I used about a pound of cherries, but you can use as many or little as you want. Traditionally the pits are not removed from the cherries, but I want to enjoy this clafoutis and not have to worry about swallowing any pits, so I pitted my cherries before. I recently bought a OXO Good Grips Cherry PitterPitters) and I have to tell you, it’s one of my favorite things in the kitchen, I’ve been pitting olives and cherries and I just love it.
Look how gorgeous they are. Preheat your oven to 375 F degrees. I used a 9″ pie dish for this, so butter your pie dish well and then pour the cherries in the dish.
In a small pot, boil the half and half and then add the vanilla extract to it and set it aside. In the meantime, mix the flour and salt in a small bowl. In the bowl of your mixer crack the eggs.
Add the sugar to the eggs. Beat the sugar and eggs until it starts thickening and the batter is a pale yellow color.
Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix well, add 1/3 at a time. Next add the hot half and half with vanilla to the mixer and mix well. Pour the batter over the cherries. Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and the center is cooked through.
Sprinkle with some powdered sugar if you prefer. It is yummo and gorgeous and just makes you want to eat more and more. Truly one of my favorite summer desserts.
- 1 lb pitted cherries
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups half and half cream
- powdered sugar
- butter for buttering the pie dish
- Pit the cherries and place in a buttered pie dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Boil the half and half cream and after add the vanilla to it and set it aside.
- In a small bowl mix the flour and salt together.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the 4 eggs and sugar and beat well until it thickens and the batter is a pale yellow.
- Slowly add the flour to the batter and continue mixing.
- Add the half and half and mix well.
- Pour the batter of the cherries and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and the center is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if preferred.