Not Yo’ Mama’s Banana Pudding – totally out of this world. A Paula Dean Recipe!
You know when you come across something that completely and pleasantly surprises you?
This is what this pudding did for me!
This banana pudding is genius. It sort of reminds me of a Napoleon type of dessert. It’s so good, I can’t even describe it. I’m ashamed to admit I’ve never had banana pudding before though so I can’t really compare it with another banana pudding, but this pudding is right up there with Sex in a Pan. It is out of this world. This is Paula Dean’s recipe. I love this woman. She’s insane. Most recipes I make from her are top notch, and this pudding surely did not dissapoint.
Paula uses Pepperidge Farm Chessman cookies which I didn’t have, but I did have lady fingers and I love using them in desserts like this. It turned out amazing, because they’re thicker than a cookie so the top lady fingers stay crisp.
Love, love, love this pudding! It’s ridiculous how good it is.
I also made a bit less than the original recipe, so I used a 8×8 pan but by all means make the whole thing. The recipe below is for the original 9×13 pan.
This banana pudding was really easy to make, and the hardest part, honestly, was to wait for the pudding to set. I’m so bad at waiting, I just knew this pudding was going to be good.
Trust me! If you make this pudding for anyone, they will love you and become your slave forever. Girls, if you’re trying to impress a man, this is it. I wouldn’t lie to you.
- 30-40 lady fingers
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 (5 oz) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 oz) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream
- Line the bottom of a 9x14 by 2 inch dish with lady fingers and layer bananas on top.
- In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer.
- Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended.
- Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining lady fingers.
- Refrigerate for at least a couple hours before serving.