I don’t know about you but I love stuffed mushrooms, I love deep fried breaded mushrooms, I love mushrooms on pizza, but since I’m trying to lose a few pounds I decided to make something healthy with mushrooms. These vegetarian stuffed mushrooms are so good and low in calories, and only veggies, so therefore very good for you. Let me tell you these mushrooms disappeared very quick, I barely had time to take pictures of them and they were gone.
I started out with about 20 large white mushrooms but I ended up with over half the filling left, so I got my husband to go and buy me another 20 mushrooms, but I only used the stems from the first 20. Don’t throw out the stems, you can make a nice mushroom sauce from them. Anyway, heat up the oven to 400 F degrees. Clean your mushrooms, don’t wash them, use a damp towel, or a mushroom brush and just clean the dirt off of them. Remove the stems from them and place them stem side down on a cookie sheet.
Bake the mushrooms for about 15 minutes until the water leaks out of them, then place them on some paper towels to soak up remaining liquid. In the meantime, as I said before I only chopped the stems from the 20 mushrooms, that should be more than enough. You want to chop them very small.
I also chopped half an onion.
You’ll need one red pepper for this, so also chop that in small pieces, just like the mushrooms stems. Now I love roasted red peppers, so I added about 1/4 cup of roasted red peppers also chopped small.
You’ll also need to chop about 3 green onions very small.
I threw in some parsley because I wanted some more green color in there.
Mix all these together in a bowl minus the parsley, add salt and pepper to taste. Heat a large skillet and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet. Add the filling mixture to the skillet and cook.
I also added about a teaspoon of oregano. Continue sauteing until onions and red bell pepper are tender, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the filling mixture in a bowl and let it cool for a few minutes, then add the parsley and 6 tablespoons of breadcrumbs to it. I added breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning, but you can add plain breadcrumbs. Mix well.
Next, grate some fresh Parmesan cheese, about 4 tablespoons.
Mix everything well together. Place the mushrooms on a clean baking sheet, stem side up.
Fill the mushrooms with the filling, and be generous, there’s plenty of filling. As I said above, this filling, will be enough for about 40 mushrooms.
They are so gorgeous, like little gems, like little Christmas trees. They’re adorable. Anyway, bake them at 400 for about 15 minutes, then enjoy them, and enjoy you will!!
And that’s how you make these awesome vegetarian stuffed mushrooms.
- 40 large white mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¼ cup roasted red bell pepper
- ½ medium onion
- 3 green onions
- 1 tsp oregano
- 6 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Clean the mushrooms and gently remove the stems from them.
- Place the mushrooms stem side down on a baking sheet and bake until the liquid leaks out of them then place the mushrooms stem side down on some paper towels to soak up any additional liquid.
- Chop up about half the mushroom stems in very small pieces. Chop the onion, green onions, red bell pepper, roasted pepper and parsley.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet. Add the mushrooms stems, red pepper, roasted pepper, green onion and onion to the skillet and saute. Add the oregano and salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until pepper and onion are tender.
- Transfer the stuffing to a bowl and let it cool a bit. Add the parsley, breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Place the mushrooms stem side up on the baking sheet and fill them with the stuffing, generously.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.