Cabbage Salad with Sesame Seeds and Raisins – it’s good for you and so yummy!
I’m continuing on with my salad recipes that I got from a friend of ours and I think I hit the jackpot with this cabbage and sesame seed salad. I am putting this on my favorites list because I just loved it. Normally I’m not a big fan of cabbage, and I will avoid it at any cost, unless I’m making cabbage rolls. This salad was so delicious I could not stop eating it. The sesame seeds give it a nice crunchiness, and the raisins give it a nice sweetness. It’s just great, even my husband loved this one. Also, need I mention it’s good for you? This cabbage salad is very simple to make, start off by making the dressing, so to do that, in a small bowl, mix together the mustard, salt and pepper, olive oil and vinegar. Whisk it until the oil is mixed in well.
You’ll need about half a head of cabbage for this, and this salad will make about 4 to 5 servings. Shred the cabbage, I just used a knife for this, but if you have a OXO Good Grips Mandoline SlicerMandolines & Slicers)you can definitely use that, it will probably be a lot faster. Place the shredded cabbage in a large bowl.
Pour the salad dressing over the cabbage and toss the cabbage well, use your hands if you have to, just make sure they’re clean first. Set the cabbage bowl aside. You’ll need an apple, cored and sliced in thin slices. Squeeze juice from half a lemon over the apples so they don’t get dark and stay nice and bright.
You’ll also need about 4 oz of good swiss cheese cut into small cubes.
This salad also calls for about 1/2 cup of raisins, so dump the raisins over the cabbage, add the cheese and apples and toss everything together. Add the toasted sesame seeds, toss again and you’re done. Again it was very simple, took me about 15 minutes to make everything together, and it makes a great side dish or even a main course.
Here is the easy recipe.
- ½ head of cabbage shredded
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp good yellow mustard
- 1 apple cored and sliced
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- 4 oz swiss cheese
- 3 oz raisins
- juice from ½ lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- First make the dressing. In a small bowl, mix together the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk it until it's well incorporated.
- Shred the cabbage and place it in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the cabbage and toss it well.
- Cut the cheese in cubes and slice the apple. Pour the lemon juice over the apple so as not to get brown.
- Add the cheese, apple, raisins and sesame seeds to the cabbage and toss everything well together.
- Serve cold.