This Korean BBQ Ribs recipe features a traditional and authentic marinade for the most delicious, tender and succulent BBQ ribs you will ever have.
Korean BBQ Ribs
Did you know that you can make ribs in the oven? You can and they really are great! You can cook them low and slow at 220 F or cook them faster at 400 F degrees if you’re in a rush. I think they’re delicious using either method.
These ribs are great though because you can also grill them. I have done them both ways, so it’s really up to you how you do them. I got this recipe from a friend’s mom, she has her own blog, Salu-Salo, so be sure to check out her blog for a lot of great authentic recipes!
These ribs are super easy to make! You simply mix all the ingredients together and marinate the meat overnight. After this process the meat will be nicely tender and packed with flavor.
What Ingredients are in Korean BBQ Ribs?
- Pork ribs or beef short ribs
- Soy sauce
- Onion powder
- Green onion
- Sesame oil
Now, this recipe calls for a lot of onion powder. A whole half cup to be exact! Make sure you plan for this when you go pick up your ingredients at the grocery store. You can use less if you prefer, but it really does add a lot of awesome flavor as well as a great crust on the outside of the ribs.
Can I make this Recipe with Beef or Chicken?
Yes you can! Korean BBQ ribs are typically made with beef short ribs and this marinade will work wonders with them. If you use chicken, I would go for thighs, drumsticks, or wings.
How to make Korean BBQ Ribs
- Prepare the marinade: Mix the sugar, soy sauce, onion powder, green onion, garlic, pepper, and sesame oil in a large bowl. Chop the ribs into 2-bone pieces and add them to the bowl and stir to coat each rib. Alternatively, you can add the ribs and marinade to a large freezer bag. Seal the bag, and move everything around until the ribs are coated.
- Marinate: Let the ribs hang out in the marinade for at least 4 hours. Letting them marinate overnight is ideal.
- Bake: You can use one of two methods for baking these ribs. You can either cook them slow at 200 F for 5 to 6 hours, or you can cook them fast at 400 F for 30 minutes.
Can you make Korean BBQ Ribs on the Grill?
Yes, absolutely! These ribs will turn out delicious on the grill. Some of the marinade may be left behind on the grill bars, but all that flavor will still be imparted in the meat. Grill the ribs covered for 30 minutes on each side over indirect medium heat, totalling 1 hour. Move the ribs directly over the heat, and grill them for another 20-40 minutes until they are tender.
Tips for Making the Best Ribs
- When using pork ribs, remove the membrane/silverskin off the underside of the ribs. Carefully insert a small knife between the membrane and the meat. Remove the knife and use your hands to begin to separate the membrane. You can wrap paper towel around your hand for better grip. Gently tug the membrane and it will easily peel off the ribs.
- Plan to marinate these ribs overnight. The flavor and tenderness you achieve form giving them time to soak up all those ingredients is unbeatable!
- Let your meat rest before serving for at least 15 minutes. You can cover them with foil to keep everything warm while they rest.
What can I Serve with Korean BBQ Ribs?
Try out these awesome sides with your ribs:
- Baked Mac And Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
- Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad
- Classic Potato Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
Craving more Ribs? Try These!
- Instant Pot BBQ Pork Ribs
- Guinness Braised Short Ribs
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs
- Honey Glazed Rack of of Pork Ribs
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Korean BBQ Ribs
- 2 1/2 lbs pork ribs or beef short ribs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce low sodium
- 1/2 cup onion powder
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1/4 tbsp black pepper ground
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together except the ribs.
- Add the ribs and toss around so that each rib is covered in the marinade.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap or transfer to a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place ribs on baking sheet. Bake ribs until done, about 30 minutes. Alternatively you can barbecue them on the grill.
- You can also slow cook these in the oven at 200F degrees for 5 to 6 hours.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.