Last updated on May 18th, 2018 at 11:27 am
Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs with Rice and Broccolini – the combination of Sriracha sauce, honey and garlic is the perfect marinate for these boneless skinless chicken thighs. Served with rice and a side of broccolini for a healthy and delicious dinner.
In the game of weeknight cooking, this recipe is about as simple as you can get. You can even prepare this marinade the night before and let your chicken marinate in the fridge overnight and until you get home from work the next day. I for one love chicken thighs, but I prefer the boneless and skinless kind over the one with all the skin. Much healthier and better for you. I do feel that on occasion chicken thighs with skin on is required, but not in this recipe. If I do cook with chicken thighs with skin on I prefer them super crispy. To each his own, I suppose, but yes you can use any chicken thighs you want on in this recipe, even chicken drumsticks. As a matter of fact, I love this marinade so much, I made this chicken twice in the past month, which is unheard of for me, and the first time I made it, I used the chicken thighs with skin and bones.
Don’t let the length of the recipe scare you. I merely included instructions for you how to cook your rice and steam your broccolini. There really isn’t much to this recipe in terms of labor involved, but there’s lots to say when it comes to flavor. One could say that I love honey garlic anything and that would be correct. Throw in some good Sriracha sauce in there and I’ll be your best friend.
And let’s not even talk about those drippings. Well if you must, the drippings are insane. Just drizzle some over your chicken and rice and your dish will be divine.
This is the kind of dinner I’m all about. Prepare something quickly, then let it cook for a bit, then it’s time to enjoy. Slaving over the kitchen stove, well that ain’t my thing. As much as I love cooking and baking, I’d much rather sit on my deck with a cup of tea or coffee and read a good book. With this dish, you can pretty much have the best of both worlds. Dinner anyone?
If you loved this super easy chicken dinner, try these!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs with Rice and Broccolini
- 2 lb chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 lb broccolini ends trimmed *
- 1 cup rice uncooked (I used Basmati rice)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce**
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- In a casserole dish whisk all the marinade ingredients together then add the chicken thighs to it and toss well. Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to up to 24 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F degrees.
- To cook the rice, rinse it first in a few changes of cold water. Rinsing the rice makes the grains less brittle and also removes loose starch making the rice less sticky. In a heavy-bottomed pot with a tight fitting lid, combine 2 cups of water with the rice over high heat. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer and cover. Let the rice cook for about 12 to 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit with the lid on for 5 minutes and for as long as 30 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff it with a fork.
- To steam the broccolini fill a pot with a few inches of water then insert a steamer basket over the top. Make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the steamer basket. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the broccolini and cover. steam for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the casserole dish and place in the oven. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Chicken thighs are quick to cook, but if after 20 minutes they are not crispy on the outside and you prefer them crispier, turn the broiler on and broil for about 2 to 3 minutes, keeping an eye on them to not burn.
- Serve the chicken thighs over the cooked rice and with broccolini on the side. There will be drippings left over from cooking the thighs, so just spoon that over the chicken and rice. Garnish with parsley.