This crockpot chicken noodle soup is a classic and hearty soup, requiring minimal effort giving you tender chicken, loads of noodles and a delicious broth.
Today we had a very quiet day at home since we celebrated Easter yesterday at my sister’s house. I was not in the mood to really cook anything but with it being Easter and all I decided to make a pork roast but what I was really craving is some chicken noodle soup. Growing up, chicken noodle soup was very common to have with our Sunday night dinner, so I think that just stuck with me.
Usually when I make chicken noodle soup I use a whole chicken with skin and bones and all, but I just didn’t have one this time so this is why I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. If you like dark meat you could also use thighs instead. Basically making chicken in the crockpot is the same as making it in a regular soup pot on the stove top just easier and less babysitting. I just threw the carrots, onion and chicken in the crockpot, you could also use celery but I for one am not a fan of celery in soup so I skipped it in mine.
So I have to tell you about a secret ingredient I use in all my soups. Coming from Eastern Europe we always use Vegeta in soups. Vegeta is a Mediterranean seasoning made from dry vegetables and other spices. I’ve always used this, it gives the soup a beautiful yellow colour and an amazing taste. Many times I’ll use this whenever a recipe calls for chicken broth because I really love the flavour. Now if you don’t have Vegeta you can use chicken broth instead, maybe a low sodium version.
I also put the onion in whole and removed it when I shredded the chicken because I’m fussy again about my chicken noodle soup, I like a nice clear broth with just carrots, chicken and noodles. It’s just how my mom always made chicken noodle soup so this is how I like it. You must also use wide egg noodles just so you have the entire chicken noodle soup experience.
I remember when I was a kid I used to hate the soup and carrots and just wanted to eat the noodles, so I’d always eat the soup and the carrots first so I was left with the noodles and chicken. Then I could take my sweet old time eating noodles and enjoying them. I’ve grown up since then and now I eat chicken noodle soup the normal way. It’s funny the things we remember.
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced or chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped (optional)
- 3 chicken breasts, whole (could be boneless and skinless too for a broth with less fat)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 tbsp Vegeta or 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 7 cups of water if using Vegeta, otherwise 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp dried rosemary (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- parsley for garnish
- Add the onion, carrots, chicken, celery, olive oil, vegeta or chicken broth, salt, pepper, water, bay leave and rosemary to your crockpot. Cook on low for 7 hours or 4 hours on high.
- Remove the onion and take out the chicken to either cut into pieces or shred with two forks. Add chicken back to crockpot and add egg noodles. Cook for another 1 hour on high or until noodles are cooked.
- Garnish with parsley.